Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism - beers

Options
  • 28-01-2020 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭

As the number of posters dwindles, would it be advisable to have a meet up with a few scoops before the forum becomes dead as dodo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nsi423

People have no faith in atheism these days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Odhinn wrote: »
    As the number of posters dwindles, would it be advisable to have a meet up with a few scoops before the forum becomes dead as dodo?

Always up for a beer, but I'd say wait for it to liven up a bit again. Tends to come and go in terms of traffic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where does A&A in general stand on non-alcoholic beer? is it a-alcoholic or anti-alcoholic?
    can beer exist in complete separation to alcohol?

where does A&A in general stand on non-alcoholic beer? is it a-alcoholic or anti-alcoholic?
    can beer exist in complete separation to alcohol?

Hmm, cutting down on the booze after the usual Christmas over indulgence here and have tried a number of alcohol free becks, erdinger and brew dog. My purely subjective and anecdotal conclusion is that beer cannot exist in complete separation to alcohol. It is nothing short of an abomination but needs must.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

What an awful selection Ireland import. :-O

Over here every Commercial or independent brewery has a range of beers and almost always include an alcohol free option and some of them are quite tasty indeed. Schwind and Schlappeseppel in particular do a good job.

It would be hard to think of a worse selection to import to Ireland unless they added Faust to the mix. They have the only alcohol free beer on the planet so far that manages not only to taste awful, but to give me a raging hang over the next day too. How that is even possible I have not yet discovered.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i tried cobra non-alcoholic beer about a year ago. it's astounding that it got past their taste tests. it's rank; it even made my food taste like ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,984 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is what happens when someone proposes drinks in January. Talk immediately turns to which N/A pisswater is the least foul... :p

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,083 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

January = Lent for atheists?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

What would a god think of aethism?

(But I don't know if each god thinks)

adrian92 wrote: »
    What would a god think of aethism?

(But I don't know if each god thinks)

An imaginary god can think whatever you'd like her or him to think. :)

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    An imaginary god can think whatever you'd like her or him to think. :)
    Or a real god can be imagined to think whatever you'd like him or her to think.

Peregrinus wrote: »

Indeed. Amazing the number of people who seem to think they could conceivably know the mind of an omniscient being, imaginary or not. That in itself demands no little imagination, not to mention ego.

So I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Peregrinus wrote: »

Indeed. And has been used as justification down through the ages for unspeakable acts of barbarity.

But back to beers...

I was given a three month sub for O'Brien's Craft Club for xmas. Six of the most obscure beers imaginable each month. :eek: When all I'd like is a nice pint of Miller. :(

my local spar is selling off cans of chieftain ale for a euro each - the BBE date is from the 26th Jan.
    top work.

my local spar is selling off cans of chieftain ale for a euro each - the BBE date is from the 26th Jan.
    top work.

How long have they been in stock? :eek:

ABV?

5.5% IIRC. i picked up ten last night - to clarify, they're not a euro each, they're ten for a tenner. 330ml cans.

that reminds me of the time my wife and i were in the rag trader in dublin city centre a few years ago. my wife went up to order - 'can i have a cider for me and a chieftain ale too, please.'
    barman: 'it's actually an IPA'
    wife - 'yes, a chieftain ale?'
    barman - 'it's not an ale, it's an IPA.'
    wife - 'yeah, i'll take your word on that'.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I was given a three month sub for O'Brien's Craft Club for xmas. Six of the most obscure beers imaginable each month. :eek: When all I'd like is a nice pint of Miller. :(

Miller? Heathen. Burn the heretic!!!

Obscure beer sub sounds like a lovely pressie. Got my eldest an obscure coffee sub a few years back which was great gas as we all passed judgement on each new brew pretending knowledge and wisdom on something about which we knew bugger all. No unlike a bunch of elderly celibate men passing judgment on the sexual behaviour of others I imagine :pac:

that reminds me of the time my wife and i were in the rag trader in dublin city centre a few years ago. my wife went up to order - 'can i have a cider for me and a chieftain ale too, please.'
    barman: 'it's actually an IPA'
    wife - 'yes, a chieftain ale?'
    barman - 'it's not an ale, it's an IPA.'
    wife - 'yeah, i'll take your word on that'.

Since when is an IPA (Indian Pale Ale) not an ale? Dumbass barman.

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    Since when is an IPA (Indian Pale Ale)
    franciscan well would beg to differ. but would you trust them, based on that egregious spurious apostrophe? for shame.

501546.jpg

franciscan well would beg to differ. but would you trust them, based on that egregious spurious apostrophe? for shame.

Traditional recipe maybe, I wonder which part of Ireland they source their grapefruit from?

Depending on the yeast and the brewing process, you can get esters created which give fruity flavours, doesn't have to have any actual fruit in it.

Hey Pherekydes I'd be happy to take that sub off you if it's going to waste :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Beer is good. Beer with people is better. Beer with friends is best of all.

Where would suit? I know some forum posters are in Dublin, but not all - is it 50%, 80%, something else? If you'd like to drop by for a beer sometime, please post here (or PM) to say where you're based. And, should Dublin prevail, whether you might be able to make it to Dublin. Your friendly forum mods will chatter amongst ourselves and come up with some reasonable plan to suit the greatest number.

And - admission - ok, this isn't news to my face-to-face friends and I'm sure I'm going to get into trouble for saying it here, but frankly, Belgium's wonderful and distinctly Catholic Trappist Chimay is practically unbeatable:

https://chimay.com/en/

i'm based in glasnevin, but be warned, if i turn up i'll probably just end up talking with smacl about bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

I must be mistaken.

This is not a beer forum, I thought - my error, probably (perhaps I have had too much , or not enough, beer)

I do not know what is the purpose of this forum.

Does anyone know?

adrian92 wrote: »
    I must be mistaken.

This is not a beer forum, I thought - my error, probably (perhaps I have had too much , or not enough, beer)

I do not know what is the purpose of this forum.

Does anyone know?

Are you a-beerist? Or worse, anti-beerist?

Asking the purpose of a forum is a bit like asking the meaning of life.

Does it need one?

Or, maybe, you get out what you put in :)

Oh, and robindch, Dublin...

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

As this friendly (but antisocial) MOD currently cannot drink due to very strong prescription painkillers or travel due to body parts being asshats causing need for very strong prescription painkillers my geographical location need not be factored in.

:(

I like IPA.

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    As this friendly (but antisocial) MOD currently cannot drink due to very strong prescription painkillers or travel due to body parts being asshats causing need for very strong prescription painkillers my geographical location need not be factored in.

:(

I like IPA.

Sorry to hear about your ailments Bannasidhe, but we'll lift a glass of ale in your absence to toast that what ails you passes and you'll join us for a glass next time around.

Advertisement