Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a glass etched inside for beer head keeping

Options
  • 28-01-2020 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Is it do-able to create a few etches/scores on the bottom of a glass to help with beer head-keeping?

I have a lovely handle glass and despite all cleanliness methods my beers are not keeping any resemblance of head. It's not strictly a beer glass and is VERY smooth on the inside.

I was thinking to contact an engraver or see if my local cobbler has the means to do so.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Afaik, you can get someone with a laser engraver to do it.

Or could probably scratch a few etches yourself using something like a diamond ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

An engraver should be able to do it.

I would still look at the root cause - glass cleaning, beer temp., how you pour the beer will all effect the head retention.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

irish_goat wrote: »
    Afaik, you can get someone with a laser engraver to do it.

Or could probably scratch a few etches yourself using something like a diamond ring.

Great, so I assume then there's nothing too specific about the etching requirements? Shape, Depth, etc doesn't matter?
    noby wrote: »
    I would still look at the root cause - glass cleaning, beer temp., how you pour the beer will all effect the head retention.

Well on top of this, clean dry glass, right temp, worked in pub many many years so can pour like a good thing :D. It's just this one glass my Mrs bought me so wanna do what I can to make it more beer friendly.

If I get this done, I'll feed back my findings in case anyone else wants to do the same.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Ranjo wrote: »
    Great, so I assume then there's nothing too specific about the etching requirements? Shape, Depth, etc doesn't matter?

If you're getting a professional to do it I would bring a nucleated glass with you so they'll have an idea of what you want. There's loads of different types so I think any sort of shape will do.

If you're going down the DIY route I would practice on a different glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 The Analyst

Ranjo wrote: »
    Is it do-able to create a few etches/scores on the bottom of a glass to help with beer head-keeping?

I have a lovely handle glass and despite all cleanliness methods my beers are not keeping any resemblance of head. It's not strictly a beer glass and is VERY smooth on the inside.

I was thinking to contact an engraver or see if my local cobbler has the means to do so.

Replying a bit late but I once worked in a bar and they had all the Heineken glasses sand blasted on the interior bottom to maintain the head of the pint. Worked very well, the head often grew in size if i was left full for a few minutes before anyone had a drink from it.

Advertisement