Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir - Apple TV

Options
  • 27-01-2020 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Have just changed over to Apple TV with Eir. They assured me I would have all the usual channels but I’m struggling to find some eg. Virgin media three. The lady on the phone from Eir said I’d need to use Now TV and the app would already be installed but it’s not and I’m not sure what I need to use it for. Is anyone using Apple TV through Eir? So far it seems like a downgrade, no record function etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Apple TV doesn't carry any stations.

It's all app based so you need to install the apps for the stations you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Does anyone know if Now TV is down? No signal here in Naas.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

murpho999 wrote: »
    Apple TV doesn't carry any stations.

It's all app based so you need to install the apps for the stations you want.

Eir have relatively recently adopted the Apple TV 4K as their set top box as part of a relaunch of their TV service. The eir TV service runs as an app on what is otherwise a bog standard Apple TV box that you would buy in Curry’s or suchlike.

It is a bit of a downgrade from what was offered previously. All premium services have been dropped and recording (which is cloud based) is not available on certain terrestrial channels for licensing reasons.

Unfortunately (and this may be a problem for Apple down the road) there is a bit of brand confusion going on with the eir product being referred to as Apple TV, when in fact it is called eir TV (the old eir service with bespoke equipment was “eir Vision”).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 micar53

I've recently purchased the Broadband/eir TV /Apple TV package. I am unable to tune in any of the usual television channels as the setup facility on the telly doesn't recognise the Sagemcom router. All help is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

micar53 wrote: »
    I've recently purchased the Broadband/eir TV /Apple TV package. I am unable to tune in any of the usual television channels as the setup facility on the telly doesn't recognise the Sagemcom router. All help is much appreciated.

Should it not just be a HDMI cable connecting or running from an app installed on the TV, shouldn't be any tuning involved at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 micar53

Don't understand how a HDMI cable can attach to an App. The Eir/Apple setup is: Router connected in hallway/Apple TV box connected to Samsung television in living room. On setting up the Apple box, the Eir TV App is supposed to be installed on the Television automatically. That App is then the reference point for accessing RTE, BBC, ITV etc..etc.. Unfortunately it just doesn't work. BTW Samsung "Support" is worse than Eir "Support" if that can be possible. I now have an expensive Samsung television and an equally expensive Broadband package with no television connectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sesame

Can you see the apple TV on your TV? There's no tuning involved. Change your input to whichever hdmi port you've used.
    Then on the apple TV (note not tv settings) go to settings to connect to your WiFi. That should be it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

micar53 wrote: »
    Don't understand how a HDMI cable can attach to an App. The Eir/Apple setup is: Router connected in hallway/Apple TV box connected to Samsung television in living room. On setting up the Apple box, the Eir TV App is supposed to be installed on the Television automatically. That App is then the reference point for accessing RTE, BBC, ITV etc..etc.. Unfortunately it just doesn't work. BTW Samsung "Support" is worse than Eir "Support" if that can be possible. I now have an expensive Samsung television and an equally expensive Broadband package with no television connectivity.

The eir TV app doesn’t install on the television. - it installs on the Apple TV box. Setup is simple - connect the box via HDMI to your TV and to a power outlet. Switch your TV to the HDMI port you connected the box to - that is literally the only thing you do with the TV - and power up the box. If you’ve an existing iOS product you can carry your settings over otherwise you set up WiFi and your Apple ID and you’re good to go. During setup it should automatically detect eir broadband and install the eir TV app but if not download it from the App Store. There’s no tuning involved whatsoever. By the way, you won’t be getting any ITV channels as part of the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kered Notnroth

Okay, my Eir bundle(broadband, mobile, TV, landline) had gone up by nearly €20 to just over €120, so I eventually called to see if there was a more favourable plan that would be cheaper.

Went SIM-free and call-centre girl rattled off that I could get a new Apple set up that would have Apple TV free for a year too, and my total bundle would be €79 - great I said, sign me up. She said its superior and works better than current one.

That was yesterday, and the new set-top box arrived today.

This thing is so bad. I'm going to revert to old one asap. It was a bit of a faff to get the free Apple set up, but I expected that tbh.

The remote is finicky and not intuitive, and on the only intuitive bit, it doesn't work. There are no numbers or central up/down/left/right and OK buttons.

When you scroll through the channels, (if you get that to work) they're not numbered, and the channel watermark is too small to know where you are. So when you land on a channel you want, you click on the trackpad but I'm just getting the spinning wheel of death.

The order is upside down to the old Eir box too. Now, the TV guide doesn't load and channels - just a blank palette with times.

There is no record option, at least one that I can see. Another thing I noticed is that some the channels that were HD are no longer.

So basically, it's a horrible user experience; laggy, not in the least bit intuitive, missing features that were standard 17 years ago (Sky).

I'll let you know how I get on.

PS I've never had an issue before with Eir customer services, excellent last time when I was moving - chatted about cost of rent etc. This time in was dealing with an Indian call-centre, and felt totally rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Okay, my Eir bundle(broadband, mobile, TV, landline) had gone up by nearly €20 to just over €120, so I eventually called to see if there was a more favourable plan that would be cheaper.

Went SIM-free and call-centre girl rattled off that I could get a new Apple set up that would have Apple TV free for a year too, and my total bundle would be €79 - great I said, sign me up. She said its superior and works better than current one.

That was yesterday, and the new set-top box arrived today.

This thing is so bad. I'm going to revert to old one asap. It was a bit of a faff to get the free Apple set up, but I expected that tbh.

The remote is finicky and not intuitive, and on the only intuitive bit, it doesn't work. There are no numbers or central up/down/left/right and OK buttons.

When you scroll through the channels, (if you get that to work) they're not numbered, and the channel watermark is too small to know where you are. So when you land on a channel you want, you click on the trackpad but I'm just getting the spinning wheel of death.

The order is upside down to the old Eir box too. Now, the TV guide doesn't load and channels - just a blank palette with times.

There is no record option, at least one that I can see. Another thing I noticed is that some the channels that were HD are no longer.

So basically, it's a horrible user experience; laggy, not in the least bit intuitive, missing features that were standard 17 years ago (Sky).

I'll let you know how I get on.

PS I've never had an issue before with Eir customer services, excellent last time when I was moving - chatted about cost of rent etc. This time in was dealing with an Indian call-centre, and felt totally rushed.

I'm not sure if you can revert to your old one, as Eir are phasing out all their old boxes.

The remote is the basic Apple TV 4k remote, which is quite tricky to use. You can request a regular style remote off Eir instead, but think it costs €20.

If you are getting the spinning wheel when changing channels, it could be that your internet isn't fast enough. You might need them to also update whatever router you currently have from them. But before doing that, try going into the Apple TV setting and "restarting" it (do NOT "reset"). Its found under Settings/System/Restart.
    You might also want to update the software to the latest version if you haven't done so already.

The channel listing for Eir is all over the place, but you can go into the Eir TV app settings and add channels to your "Favourites" and then reorder the favourites list to your own liking (moving channels up and down a list). Then you engage the Favourites mode list toggle by swiping up on the Apple TV remote (I think thats how you get to it). From that screen you pick whether you are viewing things in Favourites or normal view mode.
    After that, only the channels you want to see will pop up when you swipe left and right.

Also worth nothing that instead of a swipe left or right on the remote (to navigate the channels), you can also do a light tap on the left or right side of the touch sensitive space.
    This tapping (as opposed to swiping) works throughout the Apple TV for Up, Down, Left and Right. Its up to you which you find easier to use, but you do need a light touch either way!!

There is an option to change the function for the "TV" button on the remote. I think by default it goes to Apple TV (app), but you can set it so that it go to the Home Screen instead.
    Also, if you long press on the TV button, you will get the "sleep" option pop-up, which is the handy way to switch off the device.

Recording is sadly very limited on Eir TV. I do believe they offer a tiny number of channels that you can record (cloud based), but everything else would have to be done via catch-up services like RTE Player and the All4 app.

Sorry I can't be more specific about the Eir TV settings. I don't have Eir myself, but set it up for a relative recently, so trying to recall the various screens/settings from memory.

Also forgot to mention, that with the new Apple TV 4k box you got, you can claim a years free subscription to Apple TV+ (Apples streaming service) if you haven't done so already. The range of shows/movies there is limited, but its better than nothing. I think you have 3 months to claim it after getting the new Apple hardware, but don't quote me on that!

And if you haven't availed of it already, you might also be eligible for a years free Amazon Prime Video subscription as well. To do this you have to register to Eir through their website or app (you might already be registered).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Would there be a cooling off period that would allow someone who isn't happy with the new service to revert to the old one and if not possible then cancel?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

lertsnim wrote: »
    Would there be a cooling off period that would allow someone who isn't happy with the new service to revert to the old one and if not possible then cancel?

Seeing as how its so radically different from their previous service, I imagine you could cancel if you weren't happy. But I think they are trying to phase out their old system/box, so not sure if you could revert.

Personally, for my own viewing habits, Eir just wouldn't work for me. I never ever watch live TV. I have Sky and either record what I want to watch, or get it on demand. Sky is quite pricey in comparison to Eir, but suits me perfectly.

If you mostly just watch live TV and never record stuff, then Eir would be a good cheaper alternative, at least as far as getting the Apple TV 4k for free (technically rented I think), and then also getting the year of free Apple TV+ and Amazon Prime Video is nice too.

Then again, a once-off cost of installing a dish and you have access to all the free-to-air channels and saorview (with aerial) with no additional costs afterwards.

It all depends what kind of user you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Eir tv through apple tv is the biggest pile of excrement I've ever used in my life. The eir tv app is a buggy mess and the apple remote is clumsy and infuriating. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭patsryan

Now TV is app that has to be downloaded from the Apple TV App Store.

Outside of that your TV needs to be on the applicable HDMI channel.

If you have a relatively modern TV, your existing TV remote will work to control the Apple TV box through HDMI CEC. This should be seamless.

Apps such as Netflix, Prime Video, RTÉ player etc can be downloaded from Apple TV App Store also.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1 IHateEir

Same experience.

Offered new cheaper package. Apple TV with Eir....thought oh great ! But.... Horribly complicated menus.....no number pad . My elderly Mother can no longer operate the TV unless someone else is present. A total disaster. It's her only window on the world.

Phoned Eir..no option basically, cannot switch back to old system.

Have used some of the comments on this forum (thank you Full Circle 81) to try and simplify it....e.g make Eir the home screen - press the 'TV' button on the remote and select Eir.

Very many poor customer experiences with Eir on the customer services helpline too numerous and time consuming to mention.

Feel sorry for the operators who are usually very nice and patient. It's just they can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭long_b

How do you go about getting an Apple TV box if you have one of the old boxes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Looking for some help.

Moved the Apple TV box to another room to test a TV. Then went to use it on the original TV in sitting room now the Apple Box won't connect and says there is a power issue even though the power light is on the Apple Box.

Haven't a clue how to sort it and have no faith in the Eir Helpdesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just got this free from Sky, anything people would recommend?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 9 WaitingFTTH

Hi,

What version of the Apple TV 4K box does eir tv supply?

Does it have both wifi and ethernet or is it wifi only?

On the base of the unit it states which model Mxxxxx…………what is that #

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Mine has ethernet and wifi - it's about 16 months old now (from Eir).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 WaitingFTTH

Great, just what I needed to know…….just bought one of their refurbished units at €59.99

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭big_drive

Set up Eir tv yesterday, all good last night. Switching from Sky having had sky for last 5 years.

Change came about from having eir fibre broadband finally available on our road. Up to that we had to have satellite broadband as nothing available in my area. So was paying €60 for broadband plus €66 to Sky. Now I can get broadband plus tv both with Eir for € 65 including multi room. Not losing any channels with Sky that we're too bothered about.

Hoping all goes well as the savings per month is very significant for us.

Plus it's been a novelty already having such quick broadband in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hi everyone is it worth getting the Eir Tv over the new sky streaming service? Currently with sky+ didn’t get the q box.

Advertisement