Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turntable to passive speakers connection

Options
  • 27-01-2020 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

Apologies for what is probably a very basic question.

Ive recently purchased a new turntable and 2 speakers separately. Now trying to connect all together and noticed the connections below. Turntable itself has two small speakers built in but the sound quality can be distorted at times.

Speakers look like they require both inputs so surely connecting red-red and black-white wouldn't do the job?

Again apologies for the foundation level of the question. Any help or advice would be massively appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Htbhelp wrote: »
    Hi all,

Ive recently purchased a new turntable and 2 speakers separately. Now trying to connect all together and noticed the connections below. Turntable itself has two small speakers built in but the sound quality can be distorted at times.

Speakers look like they require both inputs so surely connecting red-red and black-white wouldn't do the job?

Again apologies for the foundation level of the question. Any help or advice would be massively appreciated.

Need to buy an amp with phono level input.
    The power of the amp should be matched to your speakers.. what info is on the rear of the speakers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Hi all,

You will need an amp with phono connections to sit between the turntable and the speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Htbhelp

Thanks a mil for the quick replies.
    This is the info on the back of the speakers.
    Suspected I might need some amplification between.
    Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Something along these lines..

Old but looks to be in good shape..

http://www.adverts.ie/19696134

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Thanks a mil for the quick replies.
    This is the info on the back of the speakers.
    Suspected I might need some amplification between.
    Thanks again

You will need an amp with a phono input, or a regular amp and an external phono input. But as you will have to go to that expense, you shouldn't use that cheap record player. The cheap stylus in them could ruin your vinyl. You are now on a path where you will spend €500 and realise you are still not happy. Welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Damien King

Some newer turntables output at line level. Going by your one having built in speakers and an aux in I'd wager it has a phono pre amp built in and outputs at line, not phono level.

Wont make a masssive difference regarding an amp but if its line level output you dont want to be connecting to phono in.

The manual should tell you in any case.

Does the turntable have a ground wire?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ablelocks

similar situation - so rather than create a new thread i thought i'd post in this one if that's ok....

I'm a newbie to turntables, and got a Jam turntable as a christmas present.

tried to connect from RCA output to phono on an onkyo 686 with 5.1 speakers, but lots of distortion and interference.

does this mean it doesn't output at line level, and i need to get something like this for it to work?

or could it be that the €4.99 cables i got aren't up to the job?

I'd like to see how i get on with this turntable before this happens :
    Dante7 wrote: »
    You are now on a path where you will spend €500 and realise you are still not happy. Welcome!

Anyone have any advice on this....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Hi - I've just seen your query - that turntable has built in speakers so i sincerely doubt that its output needs a separate phono amplifier - a quick read of the questions on their website suggest that the RCA outputs are meant to be connected to an amp or powered speakers.

I you can hear the record your playing, then a phono pre-amp is not the answer - if the sound is poor quality then its possible that its a result of the quality of the turntable itself - how does it sound when its playing through its own speakers ?

Cheers,

Ritz.

The Ritz wrote: »
    Hi - I've just seen your query - that turntable has built in speakers so i sincerely doubt that its output needs a separate phono amplifier - a quick read of the questions on their website suggest that the RCA outputs are meant to be connected to an amp or powered speakers.

I you can hear the record your playing, then a phono pre-amp is not the answer - if the sound is poor quality then its possible that its a result of the quality of the turntable itself - how does it sound when its playing through its own speakers ?

Cheers,

Ritz.

Sound thru it’s own speakers is fine, bit tinny but grand

But when I connect it to receiver, there’s interference, sound is distorted, music is very faint but lots of loud, Humming noise.

I assumed from reading instructions that it was basically plug and play to a receiver, but no.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Thats a bit odd, unfortunately I dont have similar kit to compare with so cant suggest anything further, other than try another cable ?

Ritz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

ablelocks wrote: »
    I'm a newbie to turntables, and got a Jam turntable as a christmas present.

tried to connect from RCA output to phono on an onkyo 686 with 5.1 speakers, but lots of distortion and interference.

does this mean it doesn't output at line level, and i need to get something like this for it to work? :

Those Jam turntables don't have a pre-amp built in and yes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turntable-Phono-Pre-Amplifier-Pre-Amp-Stereo-RCA-to-Line-Level-Amp-RIAA-eq/192688429846

Parcel Motel it.

STB. wrote: »
    Those Jam turntables don't have a pre-amp built in and yes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turntable-Phono-Pre-Amplifier-Pre-Amp-Stereo-RCA-to-Line-Level-Amp-RIAA-eq/192688429846

Parcel Motel it.

thanks STB

Advertisement