Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Property - Pyrite problem

Options
  • 27-01-2020 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm planning to buy a property in Dublin and I've just learned about the pyrite problem with some constructions. How do I know a property was affected (or fixed)?
    Something else similar must I care about when looking for a house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doop

You need to employ a competent Building Surveyor to survey the property for you. Its can be narrowed down alot by areas and dates of construction (re Pyrite)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I'm planning to buy a property in Dublin and I've just learned about the pyrite problem with some constructions. How do I know a property was affected (or fixed)?
    Something else similar must I care about when looking for a house?

As another poster said, a good building surveyor should be able to identify very quickly if the house had a back fill Pyrite issue.

Also the Quarry used by the builder in the build, I presume its a recent new build, 10-15 yrs.

A folio search and discover by a Solicitor with land registry should also be looked at

https://www.propertyhealthcheck.ie/what-is-pyrite-in-houses/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

if the pyrite was fixed they will have certification.

NO ordinary survey will accurately throw up a pyrite problem - you need to bore in under the house in a few sites & have a geo report done by a lab - no ordinary surveyor will do that. Otherwise its just the usual site inspection and buyer beware.

Advertisement