Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mile vacuum - Outrageous repair charge

Options
  • 27-01-2020 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I have a Cat and Dog Miele vacuum cleaner. Its a few years old.

Recently it has been acting up a bit and I rang the repair centre in Citywest Business Campus,

The 1st question I was asked was whether the machine was over 2 years old. Yes was the answer. Then there's a minimum repair charge of E110, I was told. I asked if that was just to look at the machine as I was willing to bring it into them myself, and the girl again parroted the line that that was their minimum repair charge.

I was genuinely shocked and horrified. I really thought Miele had a reputation for being a brand for life. Poor naive, clueless, stupid, gullible me, and every other gobsh!te who buys their products.

I'm very disappointed and will not be buying any more of their product. Part of the throw away society. Give outlandishly large quotes making their products uneconomic to repair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

I think EU is 2 years on electrical yes - but some items like TVs or fridges can be argued for a longer warranty time than what they will admit to at first.

But if its for the landfill as you say - Would you not chance repairing it yourself? You haven't said what the fault is - but at a total guess its a clogged filter or hose somewhere.

“Roll it back”

• Moderators Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Spocker

How old is the cleaner actually? It's not unreasonable for any manufacturer to have a minimum charge. Think about it from their perspective: what if it was free to send it in, and have an engineer look at it and then quote you the price for the inspection and repair; if thats too much, you could just say "bin it" and never pay the inspection charge, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

What's a "few years" - 5, 10?

How much has it been used - Daily, once a month?

Has it been looked after, filters cleaned regularly?

sometimes you just have to accept an elctrical item is at end of life

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Murt10 wrote: »
    Give outlandishly large quotes making their products uneconomic to repair.

That might be true in the case of other brands but hardly applies to Miele. If you owned a Miele washing machine and they quoted €500 for a repair, it would make economic sense to pay it.

You think €110 is 'outrageous'? Have you engaged a plumber or electrician recently?

Miele have a fleet of vans on the road and I'm sure their technicians are well trained and carry a van load of spares.

One thing to bear in mind is that thanks to EU (power saving) regulations, vacuum cleaners now have a power limit of 900W so if you own an older machine that's >2 Kw, I'd think very carefully before junking it because the replacement will have nothing like the same sucking power.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Miele vacuum cleaners suck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Years ago, in the UK, I had a 4 year old Miele washing machine stop working. They sent an engineer out & he found a roasted mouse across the mains contacts. He called Miele & they said there was no charge as it shouldn't of been possible for the mouse to get in there :D

Henry Vacuums are the best. So easy to repair & loads of cheap parts available.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Just find an independent repairer and get a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I bought a Miele vacuum recently and was horrified at just how short the cable was - I need to plug in out and in again every minute or 2 to get around the house.

This isn't a humble-brag, I sadly do not have an huge house!!!

The last hoover was a Henry and you could vacuum the entire house if you used just one socket located centrally in the hall (bungalow)

Seriously - This pisses me off no end!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Mango Joe wrote: »
    I bought a Miele vacuum recently and was horrified at just how short the cable was - I need to plug in out and in again every minute or 2 to get around the house.

This isn't a humble-brag, I sadly do not have an huge house!!!

The last hoover was a Henry and you could vacuum the entire house if you used just one socket located centrally in the hall (bungalow)

Seriously - This pisses me off no end!!!!

https://www.woodies.ie/diy-building-materials/electrical/trailing-sockets-cable-reels/masterplug-5-metre-2-gang-10a-cassette-reel-1098763

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

Mango Joe wrote: »

Similar here, but with some garden equipment I had to replace - the cords on the new devices now are only long enough to get to an extension lead.

Have to say I'm a big fan of Dysons now - expensive and require more fiddly cleaning out than old hovers - but they are cordless and very powerful.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Miele vacuum cleaners suck.

Best sucker about though,I've mine a few years and best vacuum yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

ozmo wrote: »
    Similar here, but with some garden equipment I had to replace - the cords on the new devices now are only long enough to get to an extension lead.

Have to say I'm a big fan of Dysons now - expensive and require more fiddly cleaning out than old hovers - but they are cordless and very powerful.

Feck lads ye must have mansions,,,,,,,, extension lead normally works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I have a cat and dog Miele hover 10 year old now ,best hover I've ever used.
    A
    The head of it is falling apart to be honest.

The reason electric cords shorter on newer appliances is down to health and safety.
    Reason is most people don't pull the cord out fully and it over heats causing a fire hazard.
    Shorter cord less heat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

ZX7R wrote: »
    The reason electric cords shorter on newer appliances is down to health and safety.
    Reason is most people don't pull the cord out fully and it over heats causing a fire hazard.
    Shorter cord less heat

interesting point, never realised that.

ZX7R wrote: »
    I have a cat and dog Miele hover 10 year old now ,best hover I've ever used.
    A
    The head of it is falling apart to be honest.

Shorter cord less heat

Plus less storage space in the machine. It's simple to fit a thermal cut out to avoid overheating. The Henry has masses of cable & never overheats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

My Henry is new and the cord is easily twice the length of my last hover. It doesn't have the auto wind in though. Maybe that's why some are short

Stoolbend wrote: »
    My Henry is new and the cord is easily twice the length of my last hover. It doesn't have the auto wind in though. Maybe that's why some are short

Yes & the Henry has a good, simple rewind system. By the way, if it fails, you can buy new contacts for €5 on ebay rather than paying €80 for a new reel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

ozmo wrote: »

I have both a dyson cabled Hoover and a cordless dyson... and tbh I think they are overpriced ****e ... myself and wife were sucked into their ads and “special offers” in did and currys ... we have an old small Philip’s s Hoover that’s actually better but unfortunately the head is broke on it .... I’d love to get a Henry.... can’t help but notice that’s the tool of choice in a good lot of the hotels so that must say something

LillySV wrote: »
    I have both a dyson cabled Hoover and a cordless dyson... and tbh I think they are overpriced ****e ... myself and wife were sucked into their ads and “special offers” in did and currys ... we have an old small Philip’s s Hoover that’s actually better but unfortunately the head is broke on it .... I’d love to get a Henry.... can’t help but notice that’s the tool of choice in a good lot of the hotels so that must say something

It's like comparing a €1000 iphone with my €200 Xiaomi which does the same job, just as well but doesn't have a massive marketing budget.

Henry's are so easy to repair & parts are cheap. Even a motor replacement is easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭OU812

The sale of goods act covers this. There's a reasonable life of a product to be taken into consideration. In recent years, the average lifespan of a vacuum cleaner has been estimated at 8 years, although it does vary by manufacturer.

Do your research on the SOGA, make a reasonable complaint to them quoting the relevant legislation & if they don't comply after that, take them to the small claims court for the cost of a replacement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement