Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filing off gel polish

Options
  • 27-01-2020 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

My nail tech has been 'out of acetone' lately and files off the colour before reapplication. It hurts my nails, and I've told her as she does it. She tries to do it more gently. I strongly suspect this is a ruse to fit in more clients. Last time the base coat didn't fully come off. Is this bad procedure?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'd be very suspicious of a nail bar that is out of stock of acetone, surely that's a key piece of kit. I can maybe understand a bad once off if someone messed up ordering, but I assume there's a few weeks between your appointments?

If it's happened more than once and it's hurting you I'd be inclined to look elsewhere if they don't seem keen on "stocking" acetone. I had Shellac filed off once and it destroyed my nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Twee. wrote: »
    I'd be very suspicious of a nail bar that is out of stock of acetone, surely that's a key piece of kit. I can maybe understand a bad once off if someone messed up ordering, but I assume there's a few weeks between your appointments?

If it's happened more than once and it's hurting you I'd be inclined to look elsewhere if they don't seem keen on "stocking" acetone. I had Shellac filed off once and it destroyed my nails.

I am suspicious. There is usually 3 weeks minimum between my appointments. I was told acetone softens the nails and that filing off the polish is better, despite my nails literally burning when they're being filed. I'll go back and if she has no acetone, I'll tell her I'm not coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Run out of acetone? That’s a seriously crap excuse for a professional Nail tech. It would be like me offering to apply a cheap box dye because I’d run out of hair colour developer. Just NO.

She shouldn’t be filing off a soak off gel apart from roughing up the surface before applying remover soaked pads. If the filing is hurting you then she’s filing your natural nail and she shouldn’t EVER do that.

Could she be using cheap Chinese generic hard gels instead of soak off gels that require filing off?

Honestly? I think it’s time you went somewhere else.

MinnieMinx wrote: »
    Run out of acetone? That’s a seriously crap excuse for a professional Nail tech. It would be like me offering to apply a cheap box dye because I’d run out of hair colour developer. Just NO.

She shouldn’t be filing off a soak off gel apart from roughing up the surface before applying remover soaked pads. If the filing is hurting you then she’s filing your natural nail and she shouldn’t EVER do that.

Could she be using cheap Chinese generic hard gels instead of soak off gels that require filing off?

Honestly? I think it’s time you went somewhere else.

Yeah it makes me very wary to be honest. She uses proper branded polishes , no Chinese polishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Filling the polish off is very damaging to your nails. Go somewhere else, she is wrecking your nails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

My nail tech files mine off also & tbh I had never given it much thought. Until now!

JustMe,K wrote: »
    My nail tech files mine off also & tbh I had never given it much thought. Until now!

Do your nails not burn?! Mine do

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Do your nails not burn?! Mine do

A tiny bit but I never thought much of it to be honest as I have a very low pain threshold so even something small hurts me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Mine are filed first of all to remove the top layer and then soaked in acetone and I haven't noticed any damage to my natural nails. In fact I think they're in better condition than before as I'm not constantly removing and reading polish. Can't imagine getting them filed off completely, must be terrible for nails. I'd also find somewhere else. A nail tech running out of acetone is laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Recliner

That's a pic of my nails a week after having gels filed off, and they got worse than that.
    Trust me, find somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Clicked into the wrong thread by mistake....

Nail tech ran out of acetone? Does she not know that you can buy it in Dealz? I get plenty of it there for cleaning solder flux and residue off circuit boards.

I also buy clear nail polish there.......for water proofing circuitry that could be exposed to moisture.

FanadMan wrote: »
    Clicked into the wrong thread by mistake....

Nail tech ran out of acetone? Does she not know that you can buy it in Dealz? I get plenty of it there for cleaning solder flux and residue off circuit boards.

I also buy clear nail polish there.......for water proofing circuitry that could be exposed to moisture.

I suspect she is filing polish off to save time. More time = more customers = more money. I am not going back.

Advertisement