Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upper age limit for attending a Debs?

Options
  • 27-01-2020 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I’m just looking to see peoples opinion on this, I won’t state the sex of either person and I won’t state if I’m in any way involved, or if I’m a student or a parent. I’m just curious to see the honest unbiased opinions of people on the subject. I’ve my own mind made up.

What’s the oldest date a person should take to their debs?

There is a student who is 18, that is in a relationship with a person who is 31. They would be a year together at the time of the debs. Should the student bring this date considering their age? Should the date go considering their age?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I’m just looking to see peoples opinion on this, I won’t state the sex of either person and I won’t state if I’m in any way involved, or if I’m a student or a parent. I’m just curious to see the honest unbiased opinions of people on the subject. I’ve my own mind made up.

There is a student who is 18, that is in a relationship with a person who is 31. They would be a year together at the time of the debs. Should the student bring this date considering their age? Should the date go considering their age?

What’s the sex of the person? Are you involved?are you a student or parent?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tommy Pickle

I’m surprised there are no opinions on this. Maybe I’m the only one whose making a deal of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭accensi0n

A 31 year old going to a debs?

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

If anything let them go so they can see for themselves how large the age gap is, when spending an entire evening with a load of boozed up teenagers.

Sure they'd be older than some of the supervising teachers.

Together a year so a 30 year old with a 17 year old, that's unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

i was invited as a 30 year old male to go with a 19 year old,
    no relationship or anything,
    i had enough sense to laugh and say no.
    makes a funny story tho.
    as for the 31 year old in your post, mmm
    no one his own age in the village no?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

Should the student bring this date considering their age? Should the date go considering their age?

No and no.
    Upper age limit I would think about 24.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Lc2020

What’s the sex of the person? Are you involved?are you a student or parent?

Why would the sex of a person have any bearing? Provided they're both adults can I ask why ? Or is someone being sexist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Lc2020 wrote: »
    Why would the sex of a person have any bearing? Provided they're both adults can I ask why ? Or is someone being sexist

¬_¬

/whoosh

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

are you a parent or the date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

My opinion is.. What 31 year old would actually want to go to the debs?
    Also, if the 17yo was 16 or even 15 at the time of getting together with a 30yo, there's a question of a 30yo possibly having sex with an underage minor.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

It's definitely weird and I'm sure there will be lots of bathroom gossip about it alright but it's the last time that they'll see most of the class so who cares and who else can she bring?

The weird thing is not that a 30 year old is going to the debs but that they're dating so one night isn't going to change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

My 17 year old classmate brought her 35 year old boyfriend. My boyfriend (now husband) actually recognised him as a former neighbour and father of a little girl, not sure if this was a revelation at the time for my classmate. My boyfriend was 20 and I'd just turned 18 and we were some of the oldest there except this guy! They just made out at the table next to us all, it was weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I would consider it very weird if a 21 year old was at a Debs, nevermind anything older.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

By the very true rule of half your age + 7 years - the oldest should be 22 in the students case - the other end for her (guess) is 16

This rule should be made law!

im currently dating a 48 year old - im 36 - well in range of acceptableness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

I would consider it very weird if a 21 year old was at a Debs, nevermind anything older.

Exactly my opinion too... I'm still trying to get over the op with 31 and 18.. Wrong on so many levels imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If I was 18 and my boyfriend was 31 I wouldn’t be going to the debs unless my brother or a cousin or something wanted to accompany me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you were my 18 yr old you wouldn't be going anywhere with (or near) a 31 year old. It's a massive age difference at that age.

If I was a parent of any of the other 18 year olds at the debs with their 19/20 year old bfs, I wouldn't be terribly happy that a 31 year old with a history of pursuing an 18 year old was in attendance at an event where alcohol was going to be a big feature.

Advertisement