Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Floorboards

Options
  • 27-01-2020 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I need to replace the floorboards in our box room. They have been cut so many times that even a ninja couldnt be quiet in the room. The existing floorboards are T&G measuring c.140mm x 25mm. I've checked a few of the online builders providers but cant see to find exactly the same (goodwins, brooks). Anyone point me in the right direction before i go directly to store?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I think most people replace them with plywood and then put a flooring on top.
    I got red deal floor boards from Heiton Buckley's about 10 years ago so maybe try them if you are definitely going the floorboards route.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

budhabob wrote: »
    Hi All,

I need to replace the floorboards in our box room. They have been cut so many times that even a ninja couldnt be quiet in the room. The existing floorboards are T&G measuring c.140mm x 25mm. I've checked a few of the online builders providers but cant see to find exactly the same (goodwins, brooks). Anyone point me in the right direction before i go directly to store?

Any reason you are trying to match the existing?
    If you are taking them all up then you are free to put down whatever you want really...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

GreeBo wrote: »
    Any reason you are trying to match the existing?
    If you are taking them all up then you are free to put down whatever you want really...

Only because like most old houses the boards are at an angle under the adjoining wall. But i could put down whatever. I had read somewhere that boards are better from the POV of noise etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Only because like most old houses the boards are at an angle under the adjoining wall. But i could put down whatever. I had read somewhere that boards are better from the POV of noise etc.
    My house had chipboard sub flooring and I ripped that up and replaced with floorboards in 2 of the bedrooms. I varnished them and put down rugs. Over time I replaced the rest of the chipboard in different parts of the house and used plywood with normal wooden flooring and laminate. I'm now considering ripping up the floorboards as they are noise and have a few gaps between some of the boards.
    My only advise on that job is try not to rip out the flooring that goes under the stud walls. I've one wall which is a bit loose from this. I should of cut it instead of tearing it out.

iamtony wrote: »
    My house had chipboard sub flooring and I ripped that up and replaced with floorboards in 2 of the bedrooms. I varnished them and put down rugs. Over time I replaced the rest of the chipboard in different parts of the house and used plywood with normal wooden flooring and laminate. I'm now considering ripping up the floorboards as they are noise and have a few gaps between some of the boards.
    My only advise on that job is try not to rip out the flooring that goes under the stud walls. I've one wall which is a bit loose from this. I should of cut it instead of tearing it out.

A friend of mine put down sheet ply and said it was nearly impossible to secure it fully. Maybe if i get the right size of sheet id be better off.

Definitely wont be going under the wall, thats way too much pain, and its only a sliver of crooked floorboard that is visible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

A friend of mine put down sheet ply and said it was nearly impossible to secure it fully. Maybe if i get the right size of sheet id be better off.

Definitely wont be going under the wall, thats way too much pain, and its only a sliver of crooked floorboard that is visible.

They arent a fitter obviously.

Boards can be secured fully with no issues, You can add onto the side of joists if there is over run to make sure edges are fixed properly.

Its all about the planning.

listermint wrote: »
    They arent a fitter obviously.

Boards can be secured fully with no issues, You can add onto the side of joists if there is over run to make sure edges are fixed properly.

Its all about the planning.

Cheers folks. I've replace plenty of random floorboards throughout the house and put bridging sections in where required. the room in question is going to be the nursery so want to get it right without killing myself handballing huge boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

How did this fair for you in the end?

Thinking of doing the same in my box room, taking up the boards and putting down a sheet. Want to put down sound supressing strips on the joists and insulate between the joists as well

How did this fair for you in the end?

Thinking of doing the same in my box room, taking up the boards and putting down a sheet. Want to put down sound supressing strips on the joists and insulate between the joists as well

Ripped out all the floor boards, put insulation between the joints, and replaced with Floorboards. Didnt take too long, and worked great. Pretty much silence and a solid feel througout. Put down lino on top due to the activities in a nursery......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Ripped out all the floor boards, put insulation between the joints, and replaced with Floorboards. Didnt take too long, and worked great. Pretty much silence and a solid feel througout. Put down lino on top due to the activities in a nursery......

Did you use the same floorboards or replace with new?

• Advertisement

Did you use the same floorboards or replace with new?

the floor boards were in bits, a ninja wouldnt have been able to get through the room, so replaced the whole room with new floorboards.

Advertisement