Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Vegas wedding!!!

Registered Users Posts: 22 ✭✭✭ no88y

Hi all, my partner and I are very seriously considering heading to Vegas to get married! Neither of us really want the "big white wedding" here at home, but we will more than likely have a party with family and close friends on our return...

My question is, would a Vegas wedding be legal and recognized here in ireland?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• no88y wrote: »
    Hi all, my partner and I are very seriously considering heading to Vegas to get married! Neither of us really want the "big white wedding" here at home, but we will more than likely have a party with family and close friends on our return...

My question is, would a Vegas wedding be legal and recognized here in ireland?

Thanks in advance.

Yes

• Yes.
    My brother and his wife married in Vegas some years ago. Seems the perfect thing to do if people don't want the old 'big white wedding'
    thing.

• Yes, make sure you go to the registration office after the ceremony and get your long form marriage certificate or apply for it and have it posted. You'll need the long form cert to have the marriage recognised in other countries.

• I got married in Las Vegas last year, yes the marriage is legally recognised.
    You don't need to do anything in Ireland, your marriage is registered in the State of Nevada and the marriage certificate they issue is accepted as cert in Ireland.
    Don't forget to notify Revenue after you're married.

The whole process is incredibly straight forward.
    We had a great time and can only recommend doing it.

• Ah, I got married in another State (courthouse), and we were issued a short form cert and then had to apply for the long form cert for official stuff. I suspect it was a mixture of misinformation and different States having different rules. Not surprised Vegas weddings are so popular, I've never heard of anyone regretting it.

• Advertisement

• Candie wrote: »
    Ah, I got married in another State (courthouse), and we were issued a short form cert and then had to apply for the long form cert for official stuff. I suspect it was a mixture of misinformation and different States having different rules. Not surprised Vegas weddings are so popular, I've never heard of anyone regretting it.

I believe Brittney Spears regretted it... lol

Yeah we have been thinking about it for a while now, and all the information I'm getting and reading into suggest that it's the way to go, also my girlfriend and I are big elvis fans!! There's so much of a choice there for all kinds of tastes and so fecking affordable!!! We are also going to treat ourselves to a few nights in the Bellagio woohoo

• LirW wrote: »
    I got married in Las Vegas last year, yes the marriage is legally recognised.
    You don't need to do anything in Ireland, your marriage is registered in the State of Nevada and the marriage certificate they issue is accepted as cert in Ireland.
    Don't forget to notify Revenue after you're married.

The whole process is incredibly straight forward.
    We had a great time and can only recommend doing it.

Thank you so much for your reply, it just confirms that it's what we want as a couple, now just to get a babysitter for a week....

• @no88y did you get hitched in the end? My partner and I are considering doing the same when we can travel to vagas and wondering how simple it actually was? Anything needed to be done in Ireland prior to boarding the flight? :)

Advertisement