Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Mocks

Options
  • 26-01-2020 6:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hello,

What do schools charge to sit mock exams these days? My mocks are 160 € !! There is no way on earth it could be that dear and I assume it's some ploy to raise much needed funds but still. What a joke !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CE DCG

It is not a scam - that is less than what the school will have to pay to get your exam papers and get them corrected. You can always choose not to do them, or else cop on and grow up!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cbb1982

I don’t remember ever having to pay to do mocos???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Lc2020

CE DCG wrote: »
    It is not a scam - that is less than what the school will have to pay to get your exam papers and get them corrected. You can always choose not to do them, or else cop on and grow up!

AS IF it costs more than 100 euros to sit mock exams. Having done my research, I discovered each script is less than 2 euros and no more than 5 euro to correct. Something doesn't add up. Easy for those that have it to say omg cope on, can you not see the inequality perpetuated by these mock companies. They should not be in it for profit but rather educational benefit so sorry to burst your bubble but you're wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

These companies charge around €12 per paper, €2 per actual exam paper and €10 for marking.

A student doing 7 subjects with 2 papers in Irish, English and maths is 10 papers x €12 is €120

Add in postage per script and it adds up.

€150 for a full set of mocks marked to a good standard is money well spent in my opinion but like everything involving education in this country, people see no value in teachers time and want everything done on the cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Lc2020

These companies charge around €12 per paper, €2 per actual exam paper and €10 for marking.

A student doing 7 subjects with 2 papers in Irish, English and maths is 10 papers x €12 is €120

Add in postage per script and it adds up.

€150 for a full set of mocks marked to a good standard is money well spent in my opinion but like everything involving education in this country, people see no value in teachers time and want everything done on the cheap.

Why dont teachers swap with local schools and correct their papers? Free education and all that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Lc2020 wrote: »
    Why dont teachers swap with local schools and correct their papers? Free education and all that ?

Schools are not obliged to run mocks. Some subjects wouldn't have an equivalent teacher in another school. Why are you so resistant to pay a small sum of money to have your mocks corrected independently.

Like another post said above, there's no value on education.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dated nonsense.. if they have to do simulated exams, why can't the teachers correct then themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

lawred2 wrote: »
    Dated nonsense.. if they have to do simulated exams, why can't the teachers correct then themselves?

No obligation to do so, that’s why.
    Not part of contract.

Time is money.
    Pay teachers for their professional time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

No obligation to do so, that’s why.
    Not part of contract.

Time is money.
    Pay teachers for their professional time

Exactly.. so don't do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

lawred2 wrote: »
    Exactly.. so don't do them.

Parents and students want them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Lc2020 wrote: »
    Free education and all that ?

Try doing college for a few years and trying to buy a house on Sunshine and spring water, then you can come back and tell us all about it.

Advertisement