Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At home blonde hair dye

Options
  • 26-01-2020 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am considering dying my hair at home and would love some recommendations on tried and tested hair dye brands.

I usually get my hair highlighted in the hairdressers, I last got it done about 5 months ago.
    My hair is naturally blonde, it's that mousy kind of blonde and usually takes to colour really quickly in the hairdressers.

Is it just a case of picking a colour I think looks best and hoping for the best?
    Any tips for the actual colouring process?
    If anything I really just hope it doesn't turn out orange :eek:

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

My advice would be dont do it, just go to your hairdresser and get it done properly. Box bleaches are very damaging on your hair and will leave your hair bright yellow and very brittle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Don’t do it. There are certain properties in blonde highlights that aren’t available to buy in any at home box job meaning the colour you want will never lift to the lovely light colour you see on the box. The person modelling the hair colour on the box has probably had their hair professionally done and used a toner. It will more than likely turn out orange and even if you do get a nice lift initially it will without a doubt eventually turn brassy. Save yourself the hassle and cost of having it corrected and just get your highlights professionally done. You can get TBars for around €60 in some places. Blonde is the one colour I wouldnt take any risks on to be honest no matter how light your hair is naturally. So much room for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭han2000

Ok now I'm definitely second guessing it, if I mess it up and have to get it stripped it'll cost €140 +

I might try and put the idea out of my head for another while.
    Thanks so much for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

han2000 wrote: »
    Ok now I'm definitely second guessing it, if I mess it up and have to get it stripped it'll cost €140 +

I might try and put the idea out of my head for another while.
    Thanks so much for the replies!

You cant get blonde stripped as the bleach dissolves your natural colour, Think about how bleach dissolves pigment in fabric, it does the same to your hair. Theres no getting rid of it, only option would be to put dye over it, causing more damage and also, some dye colours dont sit well over box bleach, brown for example with turn a shade of mossy green.
    Keep in mind, you will have to bleach your hair repeatedly to get the blonde shade you want. In the end it would be cheaper to just go and get it done by a hair dresser.
    You will end up having to cut half your hair off to get rid of the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Yeah I wouldn't do it either, simply not worth the risk, you just can't mess with blonde.

Next time you get it done, ask the hairdresser for a smudge/dragged root to make the regrowth more natural looking, and you'll get longer in between appointments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭han2000

Ok I think I'm definitely convinced not to do it now. It's probably not worth the risk.

In fairness I only get my hair done twice a year and because it's so light the roots don't look awful but my hairdresser has recently hiked her prices and it put the idea in my head to do it myself.

I'll probably just stick with her or start trying other hairdressers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

yeah agree - don't do it. will almost certainly cost you more in the long run, not to mention, wreck your hair.

Why dont you ask your hair dresser to do a dragged root rather than straight highlights. This means when it grows out it will look blended and more natural and roots are less of an issue. You'd probably be able to leave it even longer between colours.

Advertisement