Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Edinburgh - recommendations on where to stay?

• 26-01-2020 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Ill be off to edinburgh in March. Anyone recommend any places to stay?

Trip is leisure, a weekend only. Age group would be late 30s. Budget would be around €100 - €120 per night for accommodation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Budget? Age group? Purpose of trip?

You'll find the budget hotels scattered around but a lot around Haymarket. If you have a bigger budget I'd head towards the royal mile. Recently stayed in 10 Hill Place and couldn't recommend it highly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Go Home Paddy Cat!!

Caranica wrote: »
    Budget? Age group? Purpose of trip?

You'll find the budget hotels scattered around but a lot around Haymarket. If you have a bigger budget I'd head towards the royal mile. Recently stayed in 10 Hill Place and couldn't recommend it highly enough

Looks great thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Patrick Thistle

Yeah, Haymarket is a good place to base yourself. Walking distance into the centre of Edinburgh. There’s some good hostels around this area if you don’t mind sharing a room with fellow travellers. I would recommend Glasgow instead though ;) Hope you have a nice time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

The Angels Share Hotel.
    Located off Princes Street & is on the tram line from the airport.

Novotel at the top of Princes Street was good as well.

One can also get some decently sized apartments in Edinburgh for not too much

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Stayed in Motel One Royal before christmas was only around 80euro a night, highly recommend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Mal Maison just opened up in the city centre stayed in a few of their properties and they always feel like great value and they're a little bit different. Our room in Dundee had a Denis the Menace picture on the wall!

A lot would probably come down to what sort of things you want to do while you're in Edinburgh. You're better off staying somewhere near where the things you want to be doing are so you're not shelling out so much for taxis.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

+1 to jimmii's comments re: location. Edinburgh is a weird city geographically speaking so getting around can take longer than you'd think based on the as-the-crow-flies distance (and that's before you factor in the upper- and lower-level confusion for visitors around Grassmarket).

It's worth having a look at the VisitScotland page for Edinburgh if you haven't already to get an idea of things to do. The Royal Mile and the Castle are worth a look, but having paid to go inside the castle I'd say it's only worth it if you're seriously into the historical detail of it. Arthur's Seat is worth it if the weather is good (though in March it'll still be chilly enough if you do wander up), ditto the Meadows. The Grassmarket and Old Town are generally where I'd suggest wandering if you're visiting for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Premier Inn Hub if all you want is a clean and modern room to put your head down.
    Few of them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Go Home Paddy Cat!!

Rodin wrote: »
    Premier Inn Hub if all you want is a clean and modern room to put your head down.
    Few of them around.

Thanks guys. I went with carnicas recommendation of 10 hill place. looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭benjy1000

There’s a good spot up near the back of the castle beyount , close to an Irish boozer too.
    Can’t remember the name of her though.

Advertisement