Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laptop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Only 4GB ram though

At least they’ve written it properly. I’ve seen a few sites that would try to pull the wool over your eyes by calling it 20GB RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

degsie wrote: »
    Only 4GB ram though

Crucial offers RAM and SSD upgrades for this model. Here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

At least they’ve written it properly. I’ve seen a few sites that would try to pull the wool over your eyes by calling it 20GB RAM.

Yeah the whole intel octane thing is lost on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Optane is interesting though, if you have a compatible CPU & mobo running a mechanical hard drive, this new pre-caching tech can speed things up by around 1400%... if you already have an SSD you might see around 30% increase. Optane isn't RAM or storage, it sits in between much like the fusion tech Apple came out with a few years ago. But Intel do have plans to make proper RAM & SSD variants of this tech in the near future. Haven't tried it myself yet so cant comment if its actually worth spending money on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement