Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reputable company did not fit toilet properly

Options
  • 24-01-2020 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

Installed in mid-2016 - waste pipe has now leaked causing serious and toxic damage. Plumber says it was a complete botch job. The whole thing will have to be refitted at great expense/hassle as well as floors that need to replaced. The cost could easily reach 3-4k

This only happened today and I'm really pissed off. Do I have any comeback with this company at this stage? I'm going to call them first thing Monday.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

What exactly did the plumber mean by a botched job? What was not done correctly at the time of installation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Odelay

Toxic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

What exactly did the plumber mean by a botched job? What was not done correctly at the time of installation?

The toilet wasn't screwed down and the waste pipe and pipe from the cistern were not fitted properly. He said the waster pipe was not sealed in properly so was always going to be in issue. Cistern is hidden behind shelf and all the waster was literally going in behind here and then seeping out under the floors, through the tiles and also outside the bathroom Also affecting next door neighbour. Not the first issue with the bathroom either.

Odelay wrote: »
    Toxic?

Wast water from toilet seeping out under laminate flooring outside the bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,325 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It amazes me the standard of work that people get away with.
    Anyone who cannot install a toilet to at least be without leaks has no business operating in the plumbing business.

• Advertisement

Situation has deteriorated on foot of pictures from the next door neighbours' landlord showing a disgusting video of human waste inside the party wall. He has also sent me an email threatening legal action. He may even have to move his tenant out of the apartment so costs are already mounting.

I've sent a detailed and strongly worked email to the company in question and hopefully they do the right thing, starting first thing tomorrow.

The pipe is flexible plastic as well which is also not correct, apparently. I'm actually in shock at the extent of this at this stage, a complete living nightmare not just for me but for my neighbour as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭phormium

Sounds like a right mess! Flexible waste pipe though is not that uncommon, I know I have one in one of the bathrooms as the pipe going out does not always line up exactly especially with newer style toilets in older houses.

phormium wrote: »
    Sounds like a right mess! Flexible waste pipe though is not that uncommon, I know I have one in one of the bathrooms as the pipe going out does not always line up exactly especially with newer style toilets in older houses.

Well it should not break it's seal and leak waste water and excrement everywhere. It's an unbelievable mess trust me. All hidden but there. The toilet was new and attached to a tiled shelf with everything sealed in, which is the reason the problem wasn't immediately obvious of course. At this stage half of the bathroom will have to be ripped and redone not to mention the floors outside as well as they are all gone now as well. Can't believe it really.

• Administrators Posts: 53,571 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How was the toilet fixed if it wasn't screwed down?

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    How was the toilet fixed if it wasn't screwed down?

Temporary fix on place. Plumber said it will be fine for now but he won't stand over it long term. He just replaced the failed waste pipe with a like for like fix. He said the full job would take half a day at least.

That's only the toilet part though the floors are all ruined and there are huge issues with the neighbours side as well, including the party wall being full human waste. It's a disaster and big job really. I'll know more tomorrow when I have a chance to speak to the company that fitted the bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,265 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Selik wrote: »
    Temporary fix on place. Plumber said it will be fine for now but he won't stand over it long term.
    Sorry in advance. This sounds like a nightmare, but hopefully this might raise a grin....

How long will he sit on it?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

That is the stuff of nightmares. Absolutely awful.

I would hope the guys who installed step up but if they don't, tell them that a) legal action will ensue but in the meantime b) you'll be all over social media with graphic descriptions and photos of the damage. My own experience is that nothing motivates service providers to rectify issues like scathing Google/Facebook/OnlineTradesmen reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Hopefully, you have photographs of what has happened.
    You need photographs before any stage of repairs so that there is evidence.

IMHO OP needs to notify his household insurers.
    1. I presume that they will not cover damage to the OP's house if the proximate cause is defective workmanship ?
    2. However, OP is also on notice of a potential public liability claim from the adjoining property.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    IMHO OP needs to notify his household insurers.
    1. I presume that they will not cover damage to the OP's house if the proximate cause is defective workmanship ?
    2. However, OP is also on notice of a potential public liability claim from the adjoining property.

By all means notify them but damage which happens over time is not covered.

Insurance is designed to cover you from loss or damage resulting from a specific 'event', not gradual damage resulting from wear and tear or leaks.

No insurance applicable here as it's my rental apartment. The company in question are fully aware of the situation now and are sending a 3rd party plumber to inspect tomorrow morning.

I suppose this is a necessary first step but I hope they don't try and try and get out of their responsibility for their negligence somehow, as works really need to start very quickly before things deteriorate further.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Selik wrote: »
    No insurance applicable here as it's my rental apartment. The company in question are fully aware of the situation now and are sending a 3rd party plumber to inspect tomorrow morning.

I suppose this is a necessary first step but I hope they don't try and try and get out of their responsibility for their negligence somehow, as works really need to start very quickly before things deteriorate further.

If the plumbing company were negligent (you have a professional opinion that they were) then they are liable for the damage. Since it was installed only 4 years ago it falls well within the 6 year limitation. For the damage within the wall and to have it resolved expediently it might be best if the OMC pay for the damage now and chase the plumbing company for damages.

The company in question have sent two plumbers to get 2 quotes and it looks like work might be starting soon. Both were in agreement about th botch job and what ne needs to be done. Thanks for all the advice/comments so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I'm not been smart ok.
    But surely you must of smelled something sooner.
    How could it have gone unnoticed for so long?

ZX7R wrote: »
    I'm not been smart ok.
    But surely you must of smelled something sooner.
    How could it have gone unnoticed for so long?

The last tenant left in early December so the apartment was empty for about a month. I don't think it was going on too long before he left but hard to know.

When I was there a few weeks ago there was a very faint smell but I didn't think anything of it at the time. It all happened behind the tiles. Everything is sealed up and flush so alot harder to detect anything. So the water coming through the tiles was the first sign, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement