Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridal make up trial and fake tan? Help please!!

Options
  • 24-01-2020 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

I have my make up trial tomorrow and I got an email from the mua recommending if I planned on having tan done for the wedding I'd be best to have it done for tomorrow.

I do plan on having tan but very very subtle and I haven't had a chance to find somewhere to do it or get a trial. I never get tan done only when I was bridesmaid for my friend a few years ago, or do it myself. So I panic booked somewhere for this evening.

I'm now worried that the tan will be a disaster/too dark and it will end up being worse than if I didn't have tan done at all. Has anyone done their make up trial without tan? Would I be better to cancel the appointment for tonight and go without or am I better to have it done. Really dont know what to do!

Comments

Is this a thing now? whatever about a make up trial, but tan along with it? is there not enough to be organising with the make up artist adding more pressure? I did my own make up but i'm sure plenty of people have had their trial without a tan, I wouldn't be stressing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

Is this a thing now? whatever about a make up trial, but tan along with it? is there not enough to be organising with the make up artist adding more pressure? I did my own make up but i'm sure plenty of people have had their trial without a tan, I wouldn't be stressing about it.

It never even crossed my mind but I mentioned it to a few people in work today and they all seemed to know I should have my tan done?? Maybe its cos I never do tan it just never occurred to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

It would depend on how experienced you are with makeup, really.

If you know what shade of foundation you need when you wear tan, then I would go ahead and cancel.

But if you don't, then I wouldn't cancel, because the shade/tone of your foundation will be highly dependant how the tan develops on your skin.
    Depending on the shade, tans can have a red, green or violet undertone. This will influence which foundation will be suitable.

For example, when I wear tan (which has a more red base) I wear a darker, more yellow toned foundation so that it blends seamlessly. When I am au natural, I would go for a more pink/neutral toned foundation.
    If I wore the pink/neutral foundation with the tan it would look way too warm with the more golden coloured tan. If I wore the yellow toned one with no tan, I'd look jaundiced. Neither would look seamless, which isn't what you'd want.

I hope I'm not overcomplicating things here, just trying to explain why its important to take these things into consideration. I wouldn't be wanting to be guessing and testing different foundations on your wedding day if you do the trial without the tan, it would be too stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I didn't have a tan done for my trail. The MUA said on the day of the wedding she would adjust things as needed. I was very happy with my make up for my wedding. any decent MUA should be able to adapt things.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    It would depend on how experienced you are with makeup, really.

If you know what shade of foundation you need when you wear tan, then I would go ahead and cancel.

But if you don't, then I wouldn't cancel, because the shade/tone of your foundation will be highly dependant how the tan develops on your skin.
    Depending on the shade, tans can have a red, green or violet undertone. This will influence which foundation will be suitable.

For example, when I wear tan (which has a more red base) I wear a darker, more yellow toned foundation so that it blends seamlessly. When I am au natural, I would go for a more pink/neutral toned foundation.
    If I wore the pink/neutral foundation with the tan it would look way too warm with the more golden coloured tan. If I wore the yellow toned one with no tan, I'd look jaundiced. Neither would look seamless, which isn't what you'd want.

I hope I'm not overcomplicating things here, just trying to explain why its important to take these things into consideration. I wouldn't be wanting to be guessing and testing different foundations on your wedding day if you do the trial without the tan, it would be too stressful.

I literally have no idea, but surely on the day the mua will have more foundation options for the rest of the bridal party. My fear is the tan tonight is much darker than I want and it will ruin the trial. Last time I got tan done when I was bridesmaid you could not really tell I had tan but I knew , and that's the level of subtle I'm going for.

I've emailed the mua to get her opinion on what's best.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If the tan you have booked is not the same tan you intend having on your wedding day then there is probably no point in having it done. I'm no expert in tans or make up though, like yourself I never wear tan.

zedhead wrote: »
    I literally have no idea, but surely on the day the mua will have more foundation options for the rest of the bridal party. My fear is the tan tonight is much darker than I want and it will ruin the trial. Last time I got tan done when I was bridesmaid you could not really tell I had tan but I knew , and that's the level of subtle I'm going for.

I've emailed the mua to get her opinion on what's best.

Oh she'll definitely have lots of options with her and the skill to determine what shade you need, I just meant it in terms of your trial not being a completely accurate idea of how it'll actually look on the day because your base will be entirely dependant on your tan.
    If you keep that in mind and aren't bothered by it, I would cancel.

Just as an aside I would get spray tans quite regularly, you would actually be surprised at how hard it can be to find someone who is good at it and who doesn't make you look orange - some of them do not use a light hand at all!
    So regardless of the above issue I'd definitely get a few trials in a few salons who use different brands of tan to make sure you're happy with it.

You can adjust the hair and makeup yourself if you're not happy with it but there's very little you can do with a bad/too dark tan application.
    What brand does the salon you're booked into use, if you don't mind me asking?

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Oh she'll definitely have lots of options with herand the skill to determine what shade you need, I just meant it in terms of your trial not being a completely accurate idea of how it'll actually look on the day because your base will be entirely dependant on your tan.
    If you keep that in mind and aren't bothered by it, I would cancel.

Just as an aside I would get spray tans quite regularly, you would actually be surprised at how hard it can be to find someone who is good at it and who doesn't make you look orange - some of them do not use a light hand at all!
    So regardless of the above issue I'd definitely get a few trials in a few salons who use different brands of tan to make sure you're happy with it.

You can adjust the hair and makeup yourself if you're not happy with it but there's very little you can do with a bad/too dark tan application.
    What brand does the salon you're booked into use, if you don't mind me asking?

Its bellamianta, which is the same brand as the place I had been considering going too. I definitely want to get tan trials done before the day, I just didn't realise I should have it sorted for my trial.

I'll give the mua some time to reply but will prob cancel.

zedhead wrote: »
    Its bellamianta, which is the same brand as the place I had been considering going too. I definitely want to get tan trials done before the day, I just didn't realise I should have it sorted for my trial.

I'll give the mua some time to reply but will prob cancel.

You should be fine with that one, its a very consistent product so the result should be grand if its applied properly.
    The MUA will be able to advise you best, if she required the tan to be on to be able to do the trial I'm sure she would have said so at time of booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

How did the trial go?

• Advertisement

JustMe,K wrote: »
    How did the trial go?

It went really well. I didn't get the tan in the end and the mua said she didn't think I really needed it, and to try a gradual tan on my legs if i want to try and even out the tone there.

Gonna give it a go and maybe do a spray tan trial to see how I feel about both options. But really happy with the make up overall.

Advertisement