Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elderly parent Flying alone advice

Options
  • 23-01-2020 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi all hope this is the right place to ask. My mother is due to fly over to us in Spain to spend a few days with us at the end of our holiday. My brother was going to acompany her and then fly back that night (he cant get time off work for any longer).
    The cost of the two return flights is extremely expensive for my brother to basically accompany her and fly home.

Is there a re service that Aer lIngus provide to facilitate her being accompanied to get on the plane in dublin and then when she lands in Malaga where i will be waiting to collect her.
    Can my brother bring her to the departure desk and I be waiting on the other side when her plan lands?

She would probable require some form of assistance walking the distance to the departure gate and similar when arriving.
    Has anyone ever used such a service if it exists?
    any advice?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Yes there is a service to bring your mother from check in to the plane. Have a look at the aer lingus website. Your brother cannot go airside without a boarding pass, he cannot pass the security area.

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/special-assistance/

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Get Real

As Martin above has said, there is assistance for the elderly flying alone at the airport. This always works very well, for all airlines.

An alternative, would be for your brother to book a ten/twenty quid one way ticket for the same day, accompany your mother to her gate, and leave the airport when he's dropped her off.

Of course, that's probably pointless when there's a service provided, but I know some people just like peace of mind/being there themselves to help in situations such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Yes there is a service to bring your mother from check in to the plane. Have a look at the aer lingus website. Your brother cannot go airside without a boarding pass, he cannot pass the security area.

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/special-assistance/

Thanks, do you know if the assistance is also on the other side when landing to get her bag and bring her to the arrivals gate?
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Thanks, do you know if the assistance is also on the other side when landing to get her bag and bring her to the arrivals gate?
    cheers

If you click on the link the other poster provided and fill in the request form then you will get a reply from them soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Yes, they will collect her and her baggage and bring her to the arrivals area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Special assistance is available both ends. The Malaga end can be a bit slow, but they will take her right to the exit.

In Dublin, your brother drops her at the special assistance area, they sit her in a wheelchair and then a buggy and take her to the gate.

It is not just Aer Lingus. The same people OCS supply it for all airlines in Dublin.

They will supply a wheelchair and someone to push it both ends if needed. Make sure to book it for her coming back too. There is a check box to tick and they take care of it all after that. It's a very good service, staffed by extremely pleasant and patient people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

spurious wrote: »
    Special assistance is available both ends. The Malaga end can be a bit slow, but they will take her right to the exit.

In Dublin, your brother drops her at the special assistance area, they sit her in a wheelchair and then a buggy and take her to the gate.

It is not just Aer Lingus. The same people OCS supply it for all airlines in Dublin.

They will supply a wheelchair and someone to push it both ends if needed. Make sure to book it for her coming back too. There is a check box to tick and they take care of it all after that. It's a very good service, staffed by extremely pleasant and patient people.

Thats brilliant, thanks for the info... she will be traveling back with me and my family so theres no issue on the return journey.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Spend the extra few euro, get them a fast track, lounge access and a seat with extra legroom.

I recently sent my father (in his 70's) to Toronto, so sent him Business Class. The holiday began when he arrived at the airport :) No such thing on short-haul to Malaga, so best advice is to purchase the above options so at least they'll have comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Spend the extra few euro, get them a fast track, lounge access and a seat with extra legroom.

I recently sent my father (in his 70's) to Toronto, so sent him Business Class. The holiday began when he arrived at the airport :) No such thing on short-haul to Malaga, so best advice is to purchase the above options so at least they'll have comfort.

No need for fast track when travelling with special assistance, security will allow OCS take you through the special assistance/ crew lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Humour Me wrote: »
    No need for fast track when travelling with special assistance, security will allow OCS take you through the special assistance/ crew lane.

Good to know for others, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Thats brilliant, thanks for the info... she will be traveling back with me and my family so theres no issue on the return journey.
    Thanks again

If you have the special assistance booked for the return leg you will probably all get assistance. It will keep you all together. They also skip you through passport control queues which is such a treat! They may drive you through the airport on a little car thing. It can be very handy, I would imagine if you have little kids they would love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kyrasubmit

very expensive

Advertisement