Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continental Grand Prix 5000 tyres - Any good?

Options
  • 21-01-2020 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi,

I have been using GP 4000 for a few years and find then very good. I need new tyres and have been looking at GP 5000. I would have assumed they are similar but some of the reviews are very negative regarding puncture resistance.
    How do you find them in comparison to the GP 4000 or would you recommend another tyre? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Tufo calibra plus 25mm clincher, thank me later. I've used them as a racing tyre & winter tyre with one puncture in 3 years with these tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The GP5000 got a slightly lesser puncture rating on the RollingResistance page. They score slightly higher on the rolling resistance however it’s not enough to convince me to change. I have a spare pair of GP4ks for when the current ones wear out just in case the 4000’s become hard to get or discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

The GP5000 got a slightly lesser puncture rating on the RollingResistance page. They score slightly higher on the rolling resistance however it’s not enough to convince me to change. I have a spare pair of GP4ks for when the current ones wear out just in case the 4000’s become hard to get or discontinued.

They have been discontinued and are no longer available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I have a store of gp4000II's from various sales and multi-buys over the years so it'll be a while yet before I buy a 5000. But I've been training with the same two or three lads for years now and one of 'em switched to 5000's and on a spirited run from Sally Gap to Laragh via the Glenmacnass waterfall road, I was well impressed at the difference in confidence and cornering he had. He was absolutely flying and I was struggling to keep him in sight. He does seem to think that they wear a little quicker than the 4's, but sure that's where grip comes from. Puncture-wise, touch wood, he hasn't had the group of us pulled in at the side of the road looking at him yet.

-Just checked Merlincycles there and they have pairs of 4000's (in -stock) with free tubes for 73 quid. - Fill yer boots.

(Apologies - 28's only)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Hmmm, I switched a couple of weeks ago as my 4000s were well worn. Puncture on my 2nd ride :mad:
    I'm hoping it was just bad timing, I felt whatever it was under the wheel just before the hiss so I suspect it might have been something substantial that would have taken me our regardless. Hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Hmmm, I switched a couple of weeks ago as my 4000s were well worn. Puncture on my 2nd ride :mad:
    I'm hoping it was just bad timing, I felt whatever it was under the wheel just before the hiss so I suspect it might have been something substantial that would have taken me our regardless. Hopefully.

It'll be quite the own goal if Continental have replaced a great tyre with a functionally inferior one. They're not cheap either. The 4000's are such fantastic hoops, I've been using them years on all manner of wheel-bike combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lewotsil

My take is the 5000 has better rolling resistance but I got a puncture on second spin in a Parisien suburb. A clubmate had similar issue on her first spin and we both got the 5000s in same shop on same week ....... bad batch ??

Interestingly the 5000 (28) does not bulge as much as the 4000 (28) at same PSI (that was why I bought the 5000) as I did not have clearance for 4000 (28).

Summary: Unless break clearance an issue I would use 4000s at discounted prices

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

Lewotsil wrote: »

Summary: Unless break clearance an issue I would use 4000s at discounted prices

Fair enough but you won't get 4000s as they have been discontinued and replaced by 5000s.
    Looks like I will just have to give them a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

rayman1 wrote: »
    Fair enough but you won't get 4000s as they have been discontinued and replaced by 5000s.

Unless you find places still selling off old stock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

I'm very much a 'social cyclist', club spins, sportives etc. I've been using the GP 4000 for years. Never managed to wear a set out, usually they just get a slit that I think won't be repairable. I have the GP 5000 now. I did notice a 'skelp' had worn off the contact surface (like you can almost see the canvas underneath, or whatever it's made from, just a small area), so I reckon they are a good bit softer and less durable than their 4000 cousins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyone have any opinions on the super sport plus tyres? discounted on bikeman.ie:

https://www.bikeman.ie/product/continental-supersport-plus-2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lewotsil wrote: »
    Interestingly the 5000 (28) does not bulge as much as the 4000 (28) at same PSI (that was why I bought the 5000) as I did not have clearance for 4000 (28).

100%, the GP5000 seems to be correctly sized, the 4000 were always close to a size up.

Have used both and have went through two pairs of the 5000 so here is my opinion.
    Puncture protection: GP4000S wins hands down, the 5000s has picked up numerous punctures whereas, with rare exception, the GP4000S did not puncture unless they were near end of life
    Lifecycle; GP4000S again, at least twice if not three times as long out of them compared to the 5000s
    Grip: 5000s wins hands down, I took corners in races at speeds I would have went off the course with the GP4000s. If your not an idiot risk taker, you won't notice but the 5000 have far superior grip, and this is with the knowledge that the 4000s were some of the best tyres I had ever used for grip.
    Rolling resistance: I think the 5000s are lower but to be honest, it is such a small factor that it could be in my head, also with the sizing being different, it is hard to compare, the 5000 in 25s, are similar to the 4000 in 23s on most of my wheels.

Long story short they replaced a great all round tyre for racing with a really good racing tyre.

I am going to use up the sets I have for commuting and buy a fresh set for racing but I only expect to get the year out of them with just racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Like the sound of them being more true to size. Ive had to use a 23 on rear of my Supersix due to clearance issues so might try the 25 for the race wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Unless you find places still selling off old stock

Merlin Cycles have the 28mm in stock:
    https://www.merlincycles.com/continental-gp4000s-ii-folding-tyres-with-2-free-inner-tubes-pair-71989.html

I've just ordered a pair even though I'm not 100% sure my bike will have enough clearance (currently have 25mm on). A bit miffed I didn't stock up earlier. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

CramCycle wrote: »
    100%, the GP5000 seems to be correctly sized, the 4000 were always close to a size up.

Have used both and have went through two pairs of the 5000 so here is my opinion.
    Puncture protection: GP4000S wins hands down, the 5000s has picked up numerous punctures whereas, with rare exception, the GP4000S did not puncture unless they were near end of life
    Lifecycle; GP4000S again, at least twice if not three times as long out of them compared to the 5000s
    Grip: 5000s wins hands down, I took corners in races at speeds I would have went off the course with the GP4000s. If your not an idiot risk taker, you won't notice but the 5000 have far superior grip, and this is with the knowledge that the 4000s were some of the best tyres I had ever used for grip.
    Rolling resistance: I think the 5000s are lower but to be honest, it is such a small factor that it could be in my head, also with the sizing being different, it is hard to compare, the 5000 in 25s, are similar to the 4000 in 23s on most of my wheels.

Long story short they replaced a great all round tyre for racing with a really good racing tyre.

I am going to use up the sets I have for commuting and buy a fresh set for racing but I only expect to get the year out of them with just racing.

I think you're fairly bang on with pretty much all of that. My own opinion is that they are definitely a size smaller than the 4s. My 5000 25s look identical to the 4000 23 on my turbo wheel. The grip is fantastic and RR seems better although that's hard to gauge accurately but they just seem faster to me. Lifespan - can't tell you yet as I've only had them on for a few weeks but no problems with punctures yet. Funnily enough, I've had poor luck with the 4000s in the past. One didn't last a week before getting sliced open and 2 others got damaged sidewalls after only a couple of weeks. All due to debris /bad luck but still annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Here's the Continental tyre hierarchy for anyone who's interested...
    https://conti-tyres.co.uk/road-and-track/clinchers

With the GP4000 gone and the GP5000's push as the top road tyre, there is room for another tyre to sit just below it in the range. In an ideal world, they could add the 'Black Chilli' compound to the GP4 Season and make that the ultimate all rounder, though the price point might come under pressure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

begs the question, what does the category 'sport' mean because it's at the bottom, and at the opposite end of the spectrum to what sport would imply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

begs the question, what does the category 'sport' mean because it's at the bottom, and at the opposite end of the spectrum to what sport would imply.

For entry level riders who don't want/can't afford pro level gear but equally doesn't say that they're crap tyres. You can buy a Ford Fiesta 'Sport' but its not exactly a Ford GT. Same sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I got a GP5000 in January to replace a worn GP4000. I got 7 rides / 628 km out of it :(

MX9qhgEl.jpg

Only noticed it yesterday, no idea how it happened. I've not been on that bike since March 7th. Not had much success from patching sidewall holes in the past.

is that a cut or a tear/failure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

is that a cut or a tear/failure?
    I'm not too sure. It's on the cassette side of the rear wheel. No obvious rubbing from the mudguards or brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I got a GP5000 in January to replace a worn GP4000. I got 7 rides / 628 km out of it :(

MX9qhgEl.jpg

Only noticed it yesterday, no idea how it happened. I've not been on that bike since March 7th. Not had much success from patching sidewall holes in the past.

I have the same on my front... Maybe around 1500km on it

Advertisement