Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garo for EV - monitoring electricity

Options
  • 21-01-2020 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Has anyone installed one of these for their EV with a monitoring system? I need to monitor usage for business use.

There are two additions to the basic unit that we have been quoted for. Both are:

1. An energy meter fitted in charger will record the power used during charging. It is similar to your esb meter, it records the TOTAL power. Cost €105 + VAT

2. Additional WIFI module can be added ,to access this you sign in on your phone WIFI. This shows 3 pages, control, energy and settings. In energy settings you can see total energy used and monthly energy used. You record this by way of screenshot. You can pre-set charging times and limit control of charger. Cost, additional €205 + vat.

I do not have my Wifi on during the night, so not sure the additional monitoring would work?

Also, is it worth €310 + VAT for both? (2. is not available without buying 1.)

We do not want to switch to Nightsaver as we run the business from home, so ESB being used throughout the day.

Would be great to get some feedback if anyone has this unit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,082 ✭✭✭✭unkel

We do not want to switch to Nightsaver as we run the business from home, so ESB being used throughout the day.

You should reconsider that. Even if you just charge the car up once a week, you will save money switching to night saver.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nutty Nutritionist

unkel wrote: »
    You should reconsider that. Even if you just charge the car up once a week, you will save money switching to night saver.

Interesting! Will check it out. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

A relatively cheap Din-rail mount kWh meter would do what you need for a fraction of those costs - €30 or €40.
    I use this one:

Velleman EMDIN01 Single Phase Module Din-Rail Mount Kwh Meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What exact information do you need?
    is it a company EV and you want to bill the cost of charging?
    Pls reconsider the aversion to night rate

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,396 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Maybe the cost involves fitting...

The WiFi sounds kind of awful. Having to take a screenshot. There should be an interface

These guys wil have a good solution for you
    http://www.dhmeters.com/

• Advertisement

Yes it involves fitting. I will check that link out. Thank you.

Why do you need measuring the consumption? The total cost of charging an EV at the night rate is so low, that I wouldn't want to be spending money just to monitor it!

In my case I have a good idea of the costs. I do about 16k km per year (Irish national average for a car) and my car consumes about 13kWh/100km on average, so I use 16000/100 * 13 = 2080kWh per year for my EV, which costs about €166 incl VAT in electricity per year using night rate electricity

My accountant suggested we have a monitored system in order to claim the usage for our business.

Then you will have to keep an administration of exactly what km you do on a daily basis privately and for business. Is that really worth your while saving less than €100 in tax? Your accountant needs to wake up and get to grips with the costs of an EV. You are not paying him for being asleep on the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

unkel wrote: »
    Then you will have to keep an administration of exactly what km you do on a daily basis privately and for business. Is that really worth your while saving less than €100 in tax? Your accountant needs to wake up and get to grips with the costs of an EV. You are not paying him for being asleep on the job.

Zzzzzzz:D

I am assuming its a company vehicle.
    Why not take it out of the company and charge mileage as an employee?
    One set of paperwork, just the business trips taken and forget about the cost of the lecy

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Yes its a company vehicle. Would rather not charge the mileage as an employee.

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Night rate being economical would completely depend on what business you're running at home, and what your day usage is.

FWIW, I have a rolec wall pod with energy meter on it. It's not smart, there's no WiFi, but it has its own kWh meter on it. I can tell exactly how many kWh my car has consumed. Granted, I can't verify the time of use, and thus claim against day rates if required, but simply note the usage every month and you're set.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭adunis

Here's mine 90IMG_20200122_164012.jpgeuro from memory

adunis wrote: »
    Here's mine 90IMG_20200122_164012.jpgeuro from memory

Great, thanks. Am going to have a good look at these online. Thanks for that.

Advertisement