Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remodelling the Kitchen

Options
  • 21-01-2020 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

I know we all dream of things we would change, I'm thinking of the same for my kitchen (without breaking the bank) and was wondering if the boardsies wanted to give their two cents worth.

Existing kitchen, living room, dining room (the island in the kitchen is probably twice the size it is in the drawing):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zb85d9laywjumx7/Screenshot%202020-01-21%2012.30.52.png?dl=0

Current issues:

Kitchen a bit dark
    Separate spaces would prefer more open plan
    Few dead zones
    Living room can get cold

My current ideas:

Knock wall between kitchen and dining room and straighten the stove.
    Extend living room in the south west direction, removing the door to the outside and enlarging the opening between the kitchen and living room.
    Move the sink and window in the kitchen to where the current double doors are
    Create new full height door to the outside where the current sink is

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

IMO knocking the dining and kitchen into one would leave you with a room that's too big with lots of useless space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭randombar

awec wrote: »
    IMO knocking the dining and kitchen into one would leave you with a room that's too big with lots of useless space.

Ya wondering about the size of that giant room all right, the reason I'm considering it is to allow the morning light into more of the kitchen.

Also was thinking of making that the living space but the living room, becoming the dining room, would never get used then.

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Ya wondering about the size of that giant room all right, the reason I'm considering it is to allow the morning light into more of the kitchen.

Also was thinking of making that the living space but the living room, becoming the dining room, would never get used then.

How about making the door between the kitchen and dining room be a double door? Maybe bifolds so you can fold them back out of the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,284 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

IS IT ALL 2 STOREY?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

IS IT ALL 2 STOREY?

Living room isn’t. Vaulted ceiling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The vaulted ceiling may be the reason for the room being cold. Does it need more heat or perhaps a high circulation fan?
    You could simply move the sink to the left hand wall. Does one need to look out over the sink? Is the dining room used much?

Water John wrote: »
    The vaulted ceiling may be the reason for the room being cold. Does it need more heat or perhaps a high circulation fan?

It's probably taking some all right, also a lot of windows in the room, and it's almost outside the main envelope of the house.
    You could simply move the sink to the left hand wall. Does one need to look out over the sink?

That's what I was thinking all right, that I'd remove the door from the left hand wall and put the sink in there with a window, funny that I'm looking for more windows in this part of the house.
    Is the dining room used much?

Definitely not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I'm not a professional construction or architectural person, but just looking at that kitchen from a user point of view it's not a great design.
    The stove stuck in the corner surrounded by doors is very odd. I'd move the door between the dining/kitchen to the other end of the wall and possibly change the direction of the other door so that it opens into the living room which would give you space to put a couple of comfy chairs near the stove.
    There are too many doors in the kitchen causing a lot of pathways through the room. Are the double doors essential in the kitchen? I'd replace with a window and get more storage and counter space underneath giving you a nice long run on that wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Water John

As the dining room is little used, I would think of reusing it. It could become a, quiet space, if people in the house are into reading or have a hobby. It could be a games room, rather than kids retreating to their bedrooms. The kitchen and living rooms are the active space.

Wyldwood wrote: »
    I'm not a professional construction or architectural person, but just looking at that kitchen from a user point of view it's not a great design.
    The stove stuck in the corner surrounded by doors is very odd. I'd move the door between the dining/kitchen to the other end of the wall and possibly change the direction of the other door so that it opens into the living room which would give you space to put a couple of comfy chairs near the stove.
    There are too many doors in the kitchen causing a lot of pathways through the room. Are the double doors essential in the kitchen? I'd replace with a window and get more storage and counter space underneath giving you a nice long run on that wall.

Ya it’s not great at the moment all right.

Stove is nice but it’s rarely used. Big Charnwood takes a while to get going and we’re not home all day.

Probably need some way outside from kitchen. Have the patio out that side.

Double doors are less used in living room. Don’t know why I put them in at all.

• Advertisement

As the dining room is little used, I would think of reusing it. It could become a, quiet space, if people in the house are into reading or have a hobby. It could be a games room, rather than kids retreating to their bedrooms. The kitchen and living rooms are the active space.

That’s a good point.

Sorry to resurrect an old one but I'm thinking about this again and from discussions with people they reckon a consult with an architect would be the way to go.

Would anyone have any recommendations for an architect in Cork that could do a consult? At this stage not looking for drawings etc. just an idea for direction.

I want to put up a lean too outside and I don't want to put it in a place that might change.

Advertisement