Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on "Direct Acting" electric heating: replacement for old Storage heating

Options
  • 21-01-2020 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi
    I have a small urban house with traditional brick based storage heating. It's OK, but the basic problem is that it heats the house during the day when it's empty and is cooler in the evening.
    It's time for an upgrade, and the view appears to be that the way to go is direct acting panel heating. Basically heat on demand. Modern ones have Hive type phone based apps to start remotely, so turn on when you leave work.

Appears to be lots of manufacturers. Has anyone used any of these, what is the experience.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1018

There's a couple of threads that might be useful on the Electrical forum at the moment, see link above.

I'll leave your post here on Plumbing and Heating for now, as there are people on here who will also have opinions on what's best too.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭John.G

fortyplus wrote: »
    Hi
    I have a small urban house with traditional brick based storage heating. It's OK, but the basic problem is that it heats the house during the day when it's empty and is cooler in the evening.
    It's time for an upgrade, and the view appears to be that the way to go is direct acting panel heating. Basically heat on demand. Modern ones have Hive type phone based apps to start remotely, so turn on when you leave work.

Appears to be lots of manufacturers. Has anyone used any of these, what is the experience.
    Thanks!

The Dimplex Quantum is actually (almost) a storage heater in that it is a fan assisted heater so the insulation can be to a much higher order resulting in pretty low leakage when not required.
    They are well worth at least considering IMO especially when you already have night rate elect.
    There are/were several posts around by at least one satisfied user, I will try and find them later.

I did see somewhere else that the quantum heater will retain “more than 50% of its capacity after 24 hrs”, now IF this true then the leakage rate is up to 480 watts/hr or 0.48 Kw/hour (from a 1.5 kw fully charged unit) which isn't outrageous. Here is the quotation that I saw.... Dynamic storage capacity - automatically adjusts to user needs
    Designed to retain over 50% of heat 24 hours after the initial charge
    Infinitely controllable electronic heat output to precisely match user lifestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭fortyplus

John.G wrote: »
    The Dimplex Quantum is actually (almost) a storage heater in that it is a fan assisted heater so the insulation can be to a much higher order resulting in pretty low leakage when not required.
    They are well worth at least considering IMO especially when you already have night rate elect.
    There are/were several posts around by at least one satisfied user, I will try and find them later.

Thanks
    OK, just found one now. Quantum was what I was originally interested in. Lots of spin from competitors, so difficult to know who to believe...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89779290

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭John.G

Keep searching and you will find a few very interesting posts from a actual user on here, within the last 18 months or so.

Here it is...….

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109158294

John.G wrote: »
    Keep searching and you will find a few very interesting posts from a actual user on here, within the last 18 months or so.

Here it is...….

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109158294

Yep, found that one also, thanks. The discussions appears to validate the Dimplex view on the Quantum system. But I believe these are expensive. Time to get some quotes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

fortyplus wrote: »
    Hi
    It's time for an upgrade, and the view appears to be that the way to go is direct acting panel heating.

This is not really the view. This is what some people are promoting, certainly. If you want instant-on electric heating, you can get very cheap products that will do just this.

I would look at an air-to-air heat pump to heat the main living areas. You might then supplement this in bedrooms with convection heaters There are various threads about this.

The real problem with all these methods is heat loss. If there is any way you can reduce heat loss in the building, it will make a big difference.

Has anyone experience of the ATC Sunray products.

They appear to tick many of the boxes. On demand/ good design, app based control to avoid random timers.

While I fully appreciate the attraction of the heat pump products, it's just not feasible in this environment. In reality, the house will be occupied by people who will be out working most of the day, so heating will be on only 6 or 7 hours, mostly in the evening.

Advertisement