Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Officer in Civil Service Interview

Options
  • 20-01-2020 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

Hi all

So as the title suggests, I have been called for the Interview stage (Stage 2) for the 2020 TCO in the civil service.

While I am delighted to have gotten to this stage, I am very apprehensive. I currently work two jobs, one is a voluntary receptionist in a voluntary organisation, and the other is an Administrative Assistant in a community development organisation (on a Community Employment Scheme).

I am third level educated with a Level 8 honours degree in Childcare Management. ( I have obviously moved from working in child care to another sector). I have recently completed a QQI Level 5 course in Reception & Frontline Office Skills (results currently pending).

Just wondering, for anyone who has attended an Interview for a T.C.O in the Civil Service, what are the questions generally like? What can I expect?

All help appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Icbaby

I am me123 wrote: »
    Hi all

So as the title suggests, I have been called for the Interview stage (Stage 2) for the 2020 TCO in the civil service.

While I am delighted to have gotten to this stage, I am very apprehensive. I currently work two jobs, one is a voluntary receptionist in a voluntary organisation, and the other is an Administrative Assistant in a community development organisation (on a Community Employment Scheme).

I am third level educated with a Level 8 honours degree in Childcare Management. ( I have obviously moved from working in child care to another sector). I have recently completed a QQI Level 5 course in Reception & Frontline Office Skills (results currently pending).

Just wondering, for anyone who has attended an Interview for a T.C.O in the Civil Service, what are the questions generally like? What can I expect?

All help appreciated! :)

They are usually 2 interviewers, 1 talks and the other takes notes and then they swap. It’s very easy going, professional but doesn’t feel like they are waiting for you to trip up. Google STAR technique and follow that. They will ask you of examples of workplace procedures you’ve had to follow, situations you’ve been in. Normal interview questions but I found the STAR techniques brilliant. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Caroleia

You could also google competencies for clerical officers in the civil service as it is the one and same job. From your op you’ll be well qualified and from my memory of the interview they are really trying to put you at ease Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭I am me123

Icbaby wrote: »
    They are usually 2 interviewers, 1 talks and the other takes notes and then they swap. It’s very easy going, professional but doesn’t feel like they are waiting for you to trip up. Google STAR technique and folloisw that. They will ask you of examples of workplace procedures you’ve had to follow, situations you’ve been in. Normal interview questions but I found the STAR techniques brilliant. Best of luck.

Thank you so much!

What kind of 'workplace procedures' could I be asked about, ( in my case working in secretarial & admin. jobs), sorry if this is a silly question, but just so I can have an example question?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Augme

You'll be asked questions based in the competencies so just read up what the competencies are you'll figure it out from there.

Thank you so much!

What kind of 'workplace procedures' could I be asked about, ( in my case working in secretarial & admin. jobs), sorry if this is a silly question, but just so I can have an example question?

https://www.morganmckinley.ie/article/interview-questions-and-answers-0
    I used this for common questions and tailored the answers to my job and experiences and it helped. You’ll be well able no need to be nervous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Augme

Icbaby wrote: »
    https://www.morganmckinley.ie/article/interview-questions-and-answers-0
    I used this for common questions and tailored the answers to my job and experiences and it helped. You’ll be well able no need to be nervous.

You'll never be asked questions like those in a competency based interview.

Augme wrote: »
    You'll never be asked questions like those in a competency based interview.

I just meant for the general interview questions. Tell me about you, your experiences, tell me of situations etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MrsMiller

Hi,

I have an interview for TCO next week and was wondering what type of questions I might be asked I understand that they are competency based but eg if asked about team work what type of question would they ask.

Also I only have one work reference as up until a few months ago I was worked for the same company for 20 years do you think this will be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

MrsMiller wrote: »
    Hi,

I have an interview for TCO next week and was wondering what type of questions I might be asked I understand that they are competency based but eg if asked about team work what type of question would they ask.

Also I only have one work reference as up until a few months ago I was worked for the same company for 20 years do you think this will be enough.
    "Tell us about a time you worked with someone you didn't get on with. How did you manage that situation?"

"Tell us about a time you had a difficult customer."

That kind of thing. They will pull you on only having 1 reference so you'll have to get a non work related one. They give you 5 days after the interview to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fivesixtwo

• Advertisement

Thank you.

One question -

As part of the requested documentation I am asked to provide a completed copy of a Health & Declaration form (included in my documentation) & a copy of the provided Garda Vetting form.

It specifies that that they are looking for a 'completed' copy of the Health Declaration form, but don't specify if the Garda Vetting form is to be completed before the interview.

Should I leave the Garda Vetting form blank until the interview or does anyone have any experience of this in a T.C.O interview?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Should I leave the Garda Vetting form blank until the interview or does anyone have any experience of this in a T.C.O interview?

iirc, it says 'to be completed by applicant' on some boxes/sections. I've filled those in anyway. Left the PAS ones for them.

I’d fill everything in it’s pretty explanatory what to fill in on the forms.

I’m only worried about the interview questions I’m not good at thinking on the sort and the fact they will be looking for examples. Anyone been to an interview lately and what was it like.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SMDT2020

I’d fill everything in it’s pretty explanatory what to fill in on the forms.

I’m only worried about the interview questions I’m not good at thinking on the sort and the fact they will be looking for examples. Anyone been to an interview lately and what was it like.

The questions will be based on the TCO competencies - these are listed in appendix 1 in the familiarisation booklet. I have an interview next week. I am preparing answers for questions around teamwork, customer service, my I.T skills, dealing with difficult people etc. the interview is supposedly timed, its only 20 minutes long, so keep your answers to the point. There is a thread on here called TCO 2020 (I think), you will get a lot of info from reading it.

Anyone with any sample questions ( for those who have done the TCO interview in the past?

Anyone done the TCO interview yet would a bit of feedback on what type of questions being asked. This my first time and am very nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Read up on the current news. I was asked about a Rembrandt painting that was sold , how much etc. also in the news was stuff about asbo and they wanted to know my thoughts

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Was your interview lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

I had my interview for TCO last Friday and was asked questions such as tell me a time you went out of your way to help someone, a time with a difficult customer and questions about teamwork.

The interview is all competency based so it's good to look over the interview familirisation material that was sent with the interview invitation. The two interviewers have your online application form in front of you whilst interviewing you, so that forms the questions too.

Best of luck with it.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058034083/16/#post112381776

This thread may also be useful for interview tips and hints.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone!

Interview went great today, your tips really helped.
    Just wondering (im not sure if this is correct),
    Is the interview graded on a 'Pass' 'or 'Fail' or an order of merit like the questionnaire?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ollie321

Thanks everyone!

Is the interview graded on a 'Pass' 'or 'Fail' or an order of merit like the questionnaire?

On this occasion it is Pass/Fail. You will retain your OOM from previously

Ollie321 wrote: »
    On this occasion it is Pass/Fail. You will retain your OOM from previously

Do you recieve the outcome of the interview through the PublicJobs.ie messageboard?
    If so how long after the interview do you usually know how you got on?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

There is a guy based in Cork does gives excellent interview training for public service jobs . Does video calls doing interview practice , helps prepare examples etc . My wife got brilliant OOM results in some recent competitions and a big part of that was the training she did . It was a great investment and if anyone wants the details just PM me.

Anyone know approx. when I should get the result of the interview?
    Do we get the result through the PublicJobs.ie messageboard?

Thanks everyone!

Congrats on the interview, glad it went well. Are you willing to share the topics you were questioned on?

Thank you.

Generally the same as those mentioned above, I was asked why I changed my career area ( I used to work in childcare for a few years, and my degree was in child care management), also about data protection procedure examples from my experience in an office environment.

Anyone know how I will receive my interview result?

Hi,
    Did anyone get the results of the TCO interviews yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

the other thread reckons it is going to be another two weeks

• Advertisement

Hi,
    Did anyone get the results of the TCO interviews yet.

Nothing yet 😢

Advertisement