Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Smart Device for All?

Options
  • 19-01-2020 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive device that you can get all the major streaming and catch-up services on?
    In particular: Netflix, Apple TV, Amazon Prime (Irish version), RTE Player and All4?

I'm trying to sort my parents out with something so they don't have to fiddle with a million different remotes to get access to content.

The Amazon Fire stick can access quite a bit, but annoyingly not Amazon Prime (it's the wrong version stick I have!). I was thinking maybe a Roku, but not sure if that covers my above list......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive device that you can get all the major streaming and catch-up services on?
    In particular: Netflix, Apple TV, Amazon Prime (Irish version), RTE Player and All4?

I'm trying to sort my parents out with something so they don't have to fiddle with a million different remotes to get access to content.

The Amazon Fire stick can access quite a bit, but annoyingly not Amazon Prime (it's the wrong version stick I have!). I was thinking maybe a Roku, but not sure if that covers my above list......

I haven't used it yet, but Eir are offering Apple 4K+ TV, and it appears to support most of the streaming and catch-up service, as well as live channels, including Eir Sport. Eir also bundle in a years free subscription to Amazon Prime Video. It is very tempting to have all those channels handled on the one device, and Apple's user interface should be very intuitive. The only disadvantage is that recording is cloud based, and some of the live channels restrict cloud recording (particularly BBC, for which catch-up iPlayer is not officially available in ROI). I have the previous version of eir Vision, which has local recording in the box, and I don't feel the need to change until the recording issue is sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

^
    Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have the Apple TV myself and like you said, it covers practically all the streaming services/catch up services. And getting the box free with Eir is a fantastic deal, but can't see my parents switching tv providers and the Apple TV by itself is quite pricey!

Was hoping a streaming stick of some sort might do the trick, just not sure which is the best of the bunch.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

a new smart tv. the latest models support all that you are looking for Apple tv now come in an app available on certain makes

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

OP I think the Apple TV really is the only box that will do everything you are asking for. The Apple TV+ requirement is what might limit your choice here. Apple have only recently started to support third party devices for the Apple TV app. There are just two streaming stick brands that support it: Roku and Fire TV. The only Fire TV stick sold here is the Basic Edition, which is never discounted, doesn’t support Alexa, and is generally the unloved child of the Fire TV family (it was effectively released just to provide a quick solution for international Prime Video users). It will be pointed out that it’s possible to get other Fire TV devices working here with a good bit of work, we can’t discuss circumventing regional restrictions. Either way I don’t think either support the RTE player..

Chromecast will do everything except Apple TV+ but needs to be controlled by a mobile phone, it’s doesn’t have a remote control or much of a UI of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Thanks for all the suggestions.

A new TV will be the ultimate solution at some point down the line. One remote for all the things is the goal!

In the meantime I might investigate a Roku device. Just not sure how well they play with the various streaming services in Ireland (as most of their advertised catch up services are UK ones).

• Advertisement
Advertisement