Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

possible carbon monoxide release

Options
  • 19-01-2020 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I had mild carbon monoxide poisoning while the landlord was around fixing the boiler.

He has admitted since that there were fumes because he was lighting the burner outside the boiler housing and i wanted to confirm whether or not this would be a source of more CO than usual that could have made it in around the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Isn't your landlord supposed to provide a carbon monoxide alarm?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 joe.magnusson

There was one downstairs. Obviously not much use...
    It was placed in the room with the boiler so had presumed that was the place for it.

Hindsight is great.

And not much point digging into what this landlord should have done. The list is long and arguments have been had.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There was one downstairs. Obviously not much use... It was placed in the room with the boiler so had presumed that was the place for it.

The room with the boiler is the most important place to put one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Only RGI people should be at Gas boiler, also check date on carbon alarm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭jimf

gas or oil boiler

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

jimf wrote: »
    gas or oil boiler

Sounds like oil.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

mad m wrote: »
    Only RGI people should be at Gas boiler, also check date on carbon alarm.

2 months left on the alarm. I'm guessing it didn't go off because the outside door was open beside where the alarm was downstairs.

jimf wrote: »
    gas or oil boiler

oil boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

I had symptoms of mild carbon monoxide poisoning while the landlord was around fixing the boiler.

What were your symptoms.?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

2 months left on the alarm. I'm guessing it didn't go off because the outside door was open beside him downstairs.

While firing the burner outside the boiler is frowned upon and unnecessary, it doesn't necessarily mean that it was producing dangerous levels of co. If it was, then the person closest to it was in most danger.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    While firing the burner outside the boiler is frowned upon and unnecessary, it doesn't necessarily mean that it was producing dangerous levels of co. If it was, then the person closest to it was in most danger.

also it is not illegal for your landlord to work on oil as dangerous as it can be

Wearb wrote: »

From what i can gather this was happening for a while. Turning flame level up and down (or something like that).

He did have an outside door open beside him which would have been airing out that room.

boiler can only be set up safely with the use of the proper test equipment

and the knowledge to know how to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

From the description of what happened, it's very very unlikely that you have CO poisoning. The landlord shouldn't be servicing the boiler himself, but it sounds like there is other issues happening between yourself and the landlord (and it will only be made worse if you start claiming you got poisoned).

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

It is recommended that there's one carbon monoxide alarm in EVERY room containing a fossil fuel burning device, be it be an open fire, stove, gas, wood pellet or oil. + one outside bedrooms on the landing.
    As said previously, its not illegal for an unqualified individual to work on oil (sadly) and someday something tragic will happen.
    We've been campaigning for years for better regulations, nobody listening I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

joe.magnusson ????

Why did you edit your first post. ?
    Tell us please what your symptoms are ?
    How do you know that your landlord is not a plumber ?
    He may be fully qualified to carry out a service.

Advertisement