Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overtired newborn

• 19-01-2020 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi all, still finding our feet with our new baby (3 weeks old) between feeding and sleeping. We seem to be making progress with the feeding but this last week the sleep is gone to pot, where he could be awake for 5 or 6 hours except for 15 or 20 min naps after a feed. Has anyone got any tips or tricks that worked for them. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Swaddling worked best for us but I believe it's not recommended by some medical circles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I’ve an 11 week old and I remember around the 3 week mark she seemed to stop sleeping during the day for a few days. It stopped after a few days but a few things we did, were to keep the lighting low and sounds to a minimum when it was sleepy time. Swaddling and using a grobag for sleeping and we started giving her a soother too.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

Thanks to you both. I have started giving a soother today and will also try to swaddle. Anything is worth a shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Minier81

The sleep cycle is short at that age, only about 20 mins. It is a phase and will pass. We found at that age she only seemed to sleep in our arms or moving in the buggy! Some people find white noise good.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭elgicko

If it makes you feel better, try twins, 30 mins off every 3 hours, 24 houts a day for 3 months, assuming you can get them to sleep at the same time. 16 bottles a day + boob.

Nearly 2 now and both sleep through the night (mostly). Things will get easier. Good luck !!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

They come out of their little newborn coma after about 2.5/3 weeks and they wake up!Also their digestive system kicks in a bit, with wind and that.I find weeks 3.5-5 hardest.Just try to roll with him as best you can, slings, sleep where he will and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

Soother definitely helped us. We introduced around this time and she would only take it when sleepy so used it as a sleep que really for both of us.

Hold tight, you will get through this and it does get easier, its alot of adjustment for everyone but you will find your mojo again! Take all the offers of help you can and sleep yourself when you have any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Try a white noise toy like Ewan the Sheep or Ollie the Owl - https://www.mothercare.ie/sweet-dreamers-ewan-the-dream-sheepr.html

They work a treat for our two-year-old and three-month-old, and always help with getting them off to sleep and helping them settle back if they wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I'd throw all notions of establishing sleep patterns out the window, at least before your child is 6 months. While good foundations can be laid, it is best to just roll with it.

Source : All parenting books + father of a 17 week old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Start finding their sleepy ques rather than a schedule, it'll be easier loing term! Also there's an app/ website about leaps, and that can affect sleep, feeding and mood aswell. It's sometimes helpful to know when they might start to turn a corner but not all babies follow it.
    I found my kids wanted to go back asleep almost straight away after 1st feed in the morning, and helping them go back asleep then really set their nap routine up for the day. If they missed going back asleep they were over tied and whole day was a struggle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

Thanks for all the replies. Yes I think I just need to identify sleep cues quicker. I would be fine if he didn't want to sleep and was content but he's fussing and trying to sleep but just can't seem to get asleep. So for his sake I'd like to help him.
    It will just be trial and error I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

We use a cocoonababy. Our baby wouldn’t sleep on his back for his first few weeks which is understandable given how unnatural it is for them. Now he goes into his cocoon even wide awake and can sooth himself to sleep within 5 mins. I would recommend it but you do need to research if it’s right for you as some say they’re not100% safe

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

A nurse in the hospital told me not to swaddle, she had done a course in SIDS and swaddling can cause them to overheat. I hated swaddling, all my 3 liked to throw their arms back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

shhling wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. Yes I think I just need to identify sleep cues quicker. I would be fine if he didn't want to sleep and was content but he's fussing and trying to sleep but just can't seem to get asleep. So for his sake I'd like to help him.
    It will just be trial and error I guess.

We use the shush+pat method and find it pretty effective

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

Theres a great book called the Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp. I found it to be amazing for settling baby and getting her to sleep in the first 4 months. Hes a big advocate of swaddling and white noise, both of which we found to be fantastic for helping our little one sleep. He also has a documentary baws on the book. You can pick it up on google play store for 5e. It talks you through the main concepts and shows you how to swaddle them snugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

The biggest trick we learnt was that the wind down routine always needed to be started BEFORE I thought he needed it. Particularly after the first bottle in the morning. He'd barely be finished the morning bottle and be back in bed

Advertisement