Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freedom to marry cert - time frame

Options
  • 19-01-2020 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi, would anyone who has been married abroad know how long you have to wait for a freedom to marry cert to be issued? Getting married abroad in June and on the site it says it will be issued within 8 weeks of the date of marriage. But was hoping to have it in March when we travel abroad to register our intent to get married there.
    Is the 8 weeks a worst case scenario or do they intentionally wait until then to issue it.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Ours took about 3 weeks - and that was over Christmas when they were closed. It would have been much quicker, but they looked for some extra information from us (I don't have an Irish birth cert). We also didn't realise, but both partners need to fill their FOM in at the same time, as they check if your both irish.

I have to say, they gave super service though!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hurley6969

Dinkie wrote: »
    Ours took about 3 weeks - and that was over Christmas when they were closed. It would have been much quicker, but they looked for some extra information from us (I don't have an Irish birth cert). We also didn't realise, but both partners need to fill their FOM in at the same time, as they check if your both irish.

I have to say, they gave super service though!

Cheers for the response, I was able to get a hold of them this morning. You can apply for the cert 6 months before the wedding but it can only be issued within 120 days of the wedding. It's just myself applying so not too bad.

Advertisement