Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gentlemen's Club Mens Club?

Options
  • 18-01-2020 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

Ive been pondering this thread since it was posted.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058044046

I'm in a similar situation myself to the OP, 40 with two young kids and not too many friends, either in the same life stage as me or that dont revolve around pints so I was thinking about setting up an off site group similar to what the OP was talking about. As a man, i feel there is nothing really for men to get involved with and certainly in my experience it can be difficult to make friends, especially when other life commitments such as kids take precedence.

I've been thinking about various ideas around it so the point of this thread is to see if there is any interest from fellow Boardsies in such a group and to tease out ideas around it such as rules.

What I'm thinking is something broadly along the following but as I said, any suggestions are welcome.

1) The only criteria for membership is that you are male. I was thinking initially to have it specifically for dads but came to the conclusion that its not just dads that can feel isolated, men as a species in general tend to be solitary creatures, both by design and by circumstance. There are men that dont want kids, cant have kids or their kids are reared so I feel it would be unfair to exclude anyone. I was also thinking have a requirement of being a site member for at least 3 months and with a minimum post count of 25 with a dispensation allowed for people that may have been a member previously but closed their account, the old account would need to be disclosed privately.

2) Group rules would broadly follow those of private forums on Boards. Discussion of non members would be forbidden, the dont be a dick rule would apply, any discussion of anything said in the group, outside of the group would be forbidden.

3) Members would have to disclose their Boards username to the group along with their first name, that rule would be non negotiable.

4) Any doxxing of group members would result in automatic expulsion.

5) Members would be expected to engage with the group, lurkers would be given an opportunity to increase their interaction but there would be limits.

6) The group would initially start out for somewhere to chat shyt but longer term I would be thinking about things like arranging days out with the kids, perhaps going to sports events, maybe a few scoops:), one thing I'd love to get involved with would be giving something back to the community in some way, voluntary projects like clean ups etc, anything really would be open for discussion.

7) It would be a place to give or get advice, could be about jobs, relationships, kids, diy, cooking, anything really.

8) Obviously for things like play dates location would be a factor. I'm based in Dublin myself but the group would be open to anyone anywhere. In time if there was enough interest perhaps geographical offshoots could stem from it,who knows.

So that's basically it. If you would be interested in something like this then just post in here confirming same, I'll give it a week or so and see where things stand and then make a decision. If you are interested but dont want to post publicly please feel free to PM me, a simple "interested" will suffice for the time being.

If anyone has any thoughts, comments or suggestions please also feel from to add em.

Comments

Advertisement