Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used hybrid around 20 k options

Options
  • 18-01-2020 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Looking for a hybrid /phev / petrol-hybrid around 20 k ??

Driving 40 km daily and occasional Dublin -cork.

I currently drive a 1.8 mondeo which needs to be retired.

I like the Ev's but they seem to be beyong my budget right now as the new ones with a range of 400 km in kona and senior are around 38-40 k . Used Leaf will be a tad small for us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

You can get an L40 in the UK for asking £19k, less with haggling.
    No VRT.
    Might be a grand or two over budget, but would save you a fortune.
    Would be bigger than the Kona too!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201911184486618?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=ll651aa&model=LEAF&sort=price-desc&page=5&aggregatedTrim=Acenta&radius=1500&make=NISSAN&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I would look at the car you want first that meets your needs and then look for where a hybrid option aligns with that. What's the budget?? 10k, 20, 30??? Are kids going to be carried? Large boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭galaxy12

Lantus wrote: »
    I would look at the car you want first that meets your needs and then look for where a hybrid option aligns with that. What's the budget?? 10k, 20, 30??? Are kids going to be carried? Large boots.

20 k as mentioned. Large boot and with 2 kids carried but not always.

Ioniq hybrid??

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Lantus wrote: »
    Ioniq hybrid??

I wouldn't call the ioniq boot large. It's decent, but not large. Granted I've the full electric which has a slightly smaller boot than the hybrid.

• Advertisement

A prius then.....

The big family cars are either not out in hybrid yet (octavia due this year) or are just out and well out of budget.

You might consider a mondeo or octavia in petrol for say 15k to 20k for the next 3 to 5 years and then upgrade to hybrid as it becomes the standard offering in prep for 2030.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Can you charge at home? looking at autotrader uk

Some of the larger plug in's would do the 40 km at non motorway speed. The outlander would be the biggest but poor consumption on the longer trips around 30-40 mpg.
    The kia niro phev is smaller but better economy, thread is active now with a few guys after purchasing but its over your budget.

A BMW 225e on paper can do 40 km but i doubt it, fossil fuel version is a 7 seater but the phev version is 5 so a little bigger boot.

Mercedes c350e estate ? will only do about 25 km.

VW passat phev estate on paper can do the 40 km. A few K over budget for 2017

Volvo V60 estate. diesel plug in should do the 40 km, I know nothing about them.

Then there is the saloon's

Another one is the Toyota Auris estate.

So many, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I think you'll struggle to find a PHEV that does your range and is within your budget, and you'll most certainly have to look in the UK for any significant amount of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Vauxhall Ampera would cost you around €15k. 50ish km winter to 70ish km summer on a charge. 4 seater. Large boot. Petrol tank will get you another 500km ish for the longer journeys.

Downside is no main dealer in ROI should you have a problem but they generally are rock solid. Any EV Mech can service it for you. Charles Hurst in Belfast can ship parts to ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,103 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Vauxhall Ampera would cost you around €15k.

What makes you say that? I've seen them as low as GBP6-7k with just a few hundred in VRT and another few hundred to land it on Irish plates. Great value for money considering you get the EUR600 subsidy for a home charger too. They're only 4 seaters though.

• Advertisement

Well kept Electron with good mileage, service history etc will cost closer to £10k and possibly more from garage. Take in currency exchange, travel, VRT you won’t have much change from €15k but depending on what you’ll settle for you could do it for €10k

It was the case that the Ampera did not qualify for €600 home charger grant. The grant was (is?) model specific and the Ampera was never registered with SEAI as it was never sold new in ROI. This might have changed in the meantime. I had an i3 before the Ampera and got my charger grant through that.

unkel wrote: »
    What makes you say that? I've seen them as low as GBP6-7k with just a few hundred in VRT and another few hundred to land it on Irish plates. Great value for money considering you get the EUR600 subsidy for a home charger too. They're only 4 seaters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Great value for money considering you get the EUR600 subsidy for a home charger too.

Are you sure about that?

I think, because it was never sold here it means its not on the SEAI eligible car list and so no grant? Unless someone fought that and won?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,103 ✭✭✭✭unkel

No, you guys are right. No charger subsidy for the Ampera. I remember it now. That means no toll discount either. Still GBP6k for a decent PHEV with a long electric only range is a lot of car for your money. Or that GBP7k Outlander PHEV I just posted in the bargains thread (that does come with the charger subsidy and toll discounts)

Both will prove to be near zero depreciation cars...

I had no problem getting the toll discount from ParkMagic. Just emailed asking for it with the new registration number after import complete and they could see it was a PHEV.
    No, you guys are right. No charger subsidy for the Ampera. I remember it now. That means no toll discount either. Still GBP6k for a decent PHEV with a long electric only range is a lot of car for your money. Or that GBP7k Outlander PHEV I just posted in the bargains thread (that does come with the charger subsidy and toll discounts)

Both will prove to be near zero depreciation cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

That means no toll discount either.

No problems getting the toll discount for PHEVs that were never sold here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭galaxy12

Many thanks for all your comments here.
    A quick search on auto trader UK gives a lot of auris and yaris hybrids within budget.

Liked the outlander as well . Do you think outlander hybrid/phev 16 reg to be a decent hybrid albeit the newer hybrids having better MPEG ?

Advertisement