Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian Shesham tables - in need of TLC

Options
  • 18-01-2020 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a nest of Indian Shesham wood tables with copper inserts Same as in this link ; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Assembled-Carved-Indian-Shesham-WoodTables/dp/B01GOHRANM

The wood colour is faded/discoloured on two of the tables and All of the copper inserts have gone darker. You can barely see them.

Can anyone advise on how I can get the shine and brightness back on the copper and on the wood. What type of varnish is needed? They are beautiful tables but they've lost their shine and now look dull and dated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Nice set of tables. I wonder if the inserts are brass, not copper. ?
    You will get all kinds of advice but I find the Rustins range of products are ideal. Start with the 'surface cleaner' and then use 'scratch remover' or' finish reviver' if needed.Rub down with a green scourer and wipe off.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭shashaela

I think they could be a mixture of both, as some are a more red colour than the typical yellow colour. When I say some, its by pattern, not accidental discolouration.
    Will look into Rustin's thank you for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

shashaela,

The India furniture trade used shellac, shellac wax, shellac based lacquer, and lacquer …. and now use the afore mentioned plus varnish and polyurethane.

Try a little experiment, on an out of sight spot to determine the finish.

Solvents dissolve cured finishes.

A little methylated spirit will dissolve shellac. Apply a few drops of methylated spirit to the piece and wait a few seconds; then touch the spot with a soft-bristle brush or a cloth. If shellac it will will soften and turn a bit sticky.

IF the first try did not work …. try lacquer thinner, and repeat the first step by applying a few drops of it to a new spot on the surface. If after a couple of seconds the finish softens enough to almost flow, you have lacquer.

IF none of these solvents dissolves the old finish, it has to be one of the reactive finishes, one that cures through a chemical reaction such as varnish or polyurethane.

BTW Add another vote for brass.

Keep us in the loop as to your progress.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭shashaela

Wow thanks for all the info Double Barrel.Will definetely need to put a lot of free time aside to dedicate myself in doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

shashaela wrote: »
    Wow thanks for all the info Double Barrel.Will definetely need to put a lot of free time aside to dedicate myself in doing this.

You don't want to strip it back to bare wood - just a good clean and wax will work wonders. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement