Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the current wait list time on a Daytona?

Options
  • 17-01-2020 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I'm in no position to buy a Rolex at the minute but I want to at some point.

So I'm hoping to go on a wait list, get told - 5 years, and then break that down to how much I need to save a week (minimum) to put towards the watch.
    If nothing else it'll fool me into saving a few quid.

I'm after a Rolex Stainless Steel Daytona - Yeah the one you can't bloody get.

Any idea what the wait time for one is in Ireland or UK?

If I walk into a dealer and ask to get put on the waitlist will I actually get put on one (I'm 22, a college student and I work part time in a supermarket) or will they pull the old 'that's nice' on me?

Also, any suggestions on where I should look/ask?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭893bet

You will never be added to the list for a Daytona. They sell for double their RRP. If they say you are added they are lying. They will never call you.

If they sold one to you they are handing you 10k cash net effect.

There fore they have plenty of buyers that will always be ahead of you on the list as that type of list does not function on a first come first served basis.

Edit-plenty more fish in the sea. Have a look on the images thread here. A million lovely watches for all budgets and....,,,mostly available!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

MrMiata wrote: »
    I'm in no position to buy a Rolex at the minute but I want to at some point.

So I'm hoping to go on a wait list, get told - 5 years, and then break that down to how much I need to save a week (minimum) to put towards the watch.
    If nothing else it'll fool me into saving a few quid.

I'm after a Rolex Stainless Steel Daytona - Yeah the one you can't bloody get.

Any idea what the wait time for one is in Ireland or UK?

If I walk into a dealer and ask to get put on the waitlist will I actually get put on one (I'm 22, a college student and I work part time in a supermarket) or will they pull the old 'that's nice' on me?

Also, any suggestions on where I should look/ask?
    Right... you want to be taken seriously a waiting list for a twenty grand watch.. sure go ahead.. what to got to lose. Roughly 80€ a week for 5 years. Better get started :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

893bet wrote: »
    You will never be added to the list for a Daytona. They sell for double their RRP.

If they sold one to you they are handing you 10k cash net effect.

There fore they have plenty of buyers that will always be ahead of you on the list as that type of list does not function on a first come first served basis.

So basically it's who ever has 20k when the watch enters the shop?

Sounds about right.

Sounds about right.

The shop gets anywhere from 1 Daytona per year to 3 or 5 or 10 per year depending on the shop.

They have a huge waiting list of rich people and VIPs. People who can spend without thinking about it. Ones who spent 50k in the shop already last year......and who might spend 100k next year. That’s who they call....not you sadly. It’s not fair. But that the way.

Weirs in Dublin will get weekly calls from people across the globe with plenty of €€€ hoping to get lucky.

It’s a 12k watch (or there abouts). If you really want it but second hand and pay the double RRP.

Broaden your horizons. Lots of other watches!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Sounds about right.

No bother, ya can get one on amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Cosmograph-Daytona-Stainless-Oyster-116500/dp/B06XPP5F32

Also, joking aside I'm not a watch person. Why is this model so sought after?

• Advertisement

Reati wrote: »
    No bother, ya can get one on amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Cosmograph-Daytona-Stainless-Oyster-116500/dp/B06XPP5F32

Also, joking aside I'm not a watch person. Why is this model so sought after?

Shame, I wanted a white dial.
    Beggars can't be choosers.

The shop gets anywhere from 1 Daytona per year to 3 or 5 or 10 per year depending on the shop.

They have a huge waiting list of rich people and VIPs. People who can spend without thinking about it. Ones who spent 50k in the shop already last year......and who might spend 100k next year. That’s who they call....not you sadly. It’s not fair. But that the way.

Weirs in double will get weekly calls from people across the globe with plenty of €€€ hoping to get lucky.

It’s a 12k watch (or there abouts). If you really want it but second hand and pay the double RRP.

Broaden your horizons. Lots of other watches!

I hear Patek have some type of Nautical watch?
    Where would I happen upon one of those?

I hear Patek have some type of Nautical watch?
    Where would I happen upon one of those?

If you can get a Daytona they might throw one in for free.

I’d set your ambition a little lower price and demand wise.

No one “normal”* goes straight to €€€€€€ without hitting all the steps on the way.

A 20 k watch is not 20 times better than a 1k watch nor 100 times better that a 200 euro watch.

*by normal I mean someone who has to work for a living and safe for a watch rather than being able to buy on the fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I think the op may be trolling a bit... I'm a 22 yo student with a part time job and I want a rare Rolex or a patek as my first real watch.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I agree with 893bet 100%. I am a huge Daytona fanboy. Why are they so popular...I dont know really. They have motor racing vibe, so if your into cars they are the cars fans watch. Like any rolex they are very rugged, waterproof, shock proof and reliable.

I was on a waiting list for 4 years and never got a call. In the end I found one second hand without papers and took a punt, which turned out to be a good one. Beautiful watch, but warning they wear small so be sure you are happy with a smaller and thinner watch. The daytona is nothing special from a complication POV, however IMHO they are cool as ****.

If I were you I would take a step back, and work your way up. The normal progression would be Seamaster 300, Explorer, Moonwatch, Submariner. Trust me if you can be happy outside Rolex Sports you will be happier overall.

• Advertisement

I agree with 893bet 100%. I am a huge Daytona fanboy. Why are they so popular...I dont know really. They have motor racing vibe, so if your into cars they are the cars fans watch. Like any rolex they are very rugged, waterproof, shock proof and reliable.

I was on a waiting list for 4 years and never got a call. In the end I found one second hand without papers and took a punt, which turned out to be a good one. Beautiful watch, but warning they wear small so be sure you are happy with a smaller and thinner watch. The daytona is nothing special from a complication POV, however IMHO they are cool as ****.

If I were you I would take a step back, and work your way up. The normal progression would be Seamaster 300, Explorer, Moonwatch, Submariner. Trust me if you can be happy outside Rolex Sports you will be happier overall.

Thank you.

I remember going into a sh*tty little shop while on holidays that was full of fake watches..
    All different price points and styles and I came out with a SS White Dial Ceramic Daytona, so it's the same as it was for 13 year old me, out of all the great watches that's the one I want.

I wouldn't say no to a Pulsation dial or Paul Newman either..

I don't drink, I don't go out, I'm lucky enough whereby if I keep saving, by the time I graduate college I'll have €12000 to spend.. be that on a watch or a masters.

I think the op may be trolling a bit... I'm a 22 yo student with a part time job and I want a rare Rolex or a patek as my first real watch.,

I'm really into watches.

A speedmaster would be lovely..
    I wouldn't really go for a Tag.

I'd love an Explorer but I'd want a 1016 - which aren't cheap.

I have a lovely Seiko 8M25 8020, that's been my go to.
    I also have the use of my fathers Sub.

My father had the same progression.. This exact seiko to the Rolex.

I've no hope of getting that watch any time soon, but I'm going to keep saving for it.

Thank you.

I remember going into a sh*tty little shop while on holidays that was full of fake watches..
    All different price points and styles and I came out with a SS White Dial Ceramic Daytona, so it's the same as it was for 13 year old me, out of all the great watches that's the one I want.

I don't drink, I don't go out, I'm lucky enough whereby if I keep saving, by the time I graduate college I'll have €12000 to spend.. be that on a watch or a masters.

Well one thing is that if you put 12k into a Daytona, you always have 12k there, maybe more, but if you need money in a rush you will be able sell it for 12k in any country in the world. But at your age, I didnt have two pennies to rub together, and honestly I spent what I had on booze and women and squandered the rest. A Daytona doesnt make a man, so make sure to live an interesting life as well, and mark a life achievement with the watch rather than having owning a watch be a life achievement.

Best of luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

Thank you.

Put the money into a masters all day long. A masters qualification can’t be stolen or lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Please don’t buy this watch. Travel and enjoy yourself. Or be boring and put it towards a house.
    A watch like that is the last piece of the puzzle.
    Remember nobody will care that you have it except you and a few nerds on the internet.

I gave benefit of the doubt but Posting history shows recent threads on 10 different careers from teaching to PSNI to search and rescue to digital marketing to medicine

While at the same time trying to set up a power hosing business, do up a Mazda mx5 for drifting, engage in competitive PC gaming, building a shed reptile enclosure, taking up boxing and playing live music.

Takes all sorts I guess....

Advice. Finish college. Move out of home. Get a job that pays better than your current one.

Then think about dropping €€€€€ on a watch.

I gave benefit of the doubt but Posting history shows recent threads on 10 different careers from teaching to PSNI to search and rescue to digital marketing to medicine

While at the same time trying to set up a power hosing business, do up a Mazda mx5 for drifting, engage in competitive PC gaming, building a shed reptile enclosure, taking up boxing and playing live music.

Advice. Finish college. Move out of home. Get a job that pays better than your current one.

Doesnt this sound like somebody we know ;)

In my defence I have a lot of time on my hands.

PSNI because I was/am applying for the guards and they’re just next door - that’s a no go.

Always loved the idea of working/helping with SARS, still something I’d love to get involved with.

Digital Marketing - something I could theoretically do while at college, look good going forward, make some cash interests me, etc. Etc.

Medicine - I’ve always (I’d underline if I knew how) wanted to study medicine, sadly that’s always been out of my reach.

Power hosing - low barrier to entry, flexible schedule, way of earning some cash while at college.

Drift car because I had an Mx5 I was fixing up and I realised under no circumstances (or amount of cash) could I get insured.
    Drifting seems like good craic (on a track) but the cars not designed for it with its 50:50 weight distribution and low horsepower.

PC because I wanted a high end pc, a lot of people end up saying ‘oh yeah it’ll play 4K and Vr’ I just want something that’ll work the best for the games I play - First person shooter, need high FPS and no latencies.

Reptile enclosure, they’re bloody cool and my mother whole heartedly disagrees! So hence a shed and not a room.

Boxing, stay fit, interesting, skill.

Live music - I play guitar and sing, it’d be great if people paid me to do that..

If this is a con I’ve outdone myself, I can’t wait to find out!

You do have a lot of time on your hands. And spend little of it valuably I suspect. The car is as it was, there is no reptile shed, no powerhose, you never started boxing etc.

The below is the problem. Get off the net and stop day dreaming.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110989619

In my defence I have a lot of time on my hands.
    !

Go get at least one job maybe two. Hard work will knock the bull**** out of you.

• Advertisement

You do have a lot of time on your hands. And spend little of it valuably I suspect. The car is as it was, there is no reptile shed, no powerhose, you never started boxing etc.

The below is the problem. Get off the net and stop day dreaming.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110989619

The car was up and running, but I couldn't get insured - I sold it for a tidy profit after having it listed for less than a day.
    Reptile shed didn't work out because of electrical issues and at the time, money (would have meant tearing up pavement.
    Powerhosing is apparently far more popular than i thought.. I mean who'd have thought low cost and skill requirement would mean every tom dick and harry is at it!
    Started kickboxing instead.

I could say the same to you, you've more than enough time to assess me based on nothing more than my (sporadic) posting history.

There was actually an issue with my data plan, which was a pain to get sorted.

Go get at least one job maybe two. Hard work will knock the bull**** out of you.

I work 35 hours a week 'part-time' while in college full time, commuting 600+km a week.

What bull**** is this now?

I work 35 hours a week 'part-time' while in college full time, commuting 600+km a week.

What bull**** is this now?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112258089&postcount=1

200 quid a week? Over 35 hours?

So either you are on a 5er an hr or are a fantasist.

Finish college and get a better paying job. Then consider a Daytona.

The car was up and running, but I couldn't get insured - I sold it for a tidy profit after having it listed for less than a day.
    Reptile shed didn't work out because of electrical issues and at the time, money (would have meant tearing up pavement.
    Powerhosing is apparently far more popular than i thought.. I mean who'd have thought low cost and skill requirement would mean every tom dick and harry is at it!
    Started kickboxing instead.

I could say the same to you, you've more than enough time to assess me based on nothing more than my (sporadic) posting history.

There was actually an issue with my data plan, which was a pain to get sorted.

No offence really meant. So don’t take it personally.

Hope the guards or being a teacher or a doctor or a digital media guro works out.

Pick one and Stick at it anyway. I have friends mid thirties that were similar 10 years ago. And are still similar now and stuck in dead end jobs.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112258089&postcount=1

200 quid a week? Over 35 hours?

So either you are on a 5er an hr or are a fantasist.

Finish college and get a better paying job. Then consider a Daytona.

That's been the job I actually get paid for - shop assistant and the one I don't get paid for which is helping my father with his phone/computer repair business.

Safe to say I put in 15 hours a week with him, and I earn a little under €210 a week (edit - working in the shop)
    In exchange for the 15 hours I get to sometimes wear a sub that fits me and I don't pay rent or for food.

No offence really meant. So don’t take it personally.

Hope the guards or being a teacher or a doctor or a digital media guro works out.

Pick one and Stick at it anyway. I have friends mid thirties that were similar 10 years ago. And are still similar now and stuck in dead end jobs.

No offence taken.

Plenty of people who I work with are happy out, others are miserable.. I know which side I'd be on if I was full time there.
    I don't like sitting still, I've no intention of doing so.. it's just what will I go at that's the question.

Guards will hopefully work out for me, teaching or Dr.. I doubt it.
    If all else fails digital marketing would be the next most obvious route.

Advertisement