Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cara Dubai

Options
  • 17-01-2020 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all, need some help here please, some of you will have experience to assist hopefully!

I'm planning to propose to my long term gf in the coming weeks whilst we are abroad at another wedding (not actually at the other wedding!). She's alway's maintained that she didn't want to get married, but I know if I ask that she won't turn me down.
    I plan to use a dummy ring for this. We have a stop off in Dubai in our journey which I was hoping to drop in to Cara, as it appears to have an good rep.
    I plan on asking fairly early in our trip so that I can find out what type of ring she'd like. We're together years, but we've never spoken about tying the knot, so it's a bit of a black hole regarding info.
    We're not flush at all so there isn't a massive budget for the ring at all, but I'd obviously like to get the best for what I have.
    I have a friend out in Dubai who can collect if needed and meet us somewhere for the official handover if time is too tight for us to drop in ourselves.
    Posters have said you have to haggle with them, but I'll have to orgainise over email, so I was wondering what way to approach it. Do I send them an image then say how much for this, or tell them I've only got 750-1k to spend here?
    Money is tight, and she's not materialistic at all, so she'd probably be upset if I spent a massive amount on it. From looking at posts here they can organise the manufacture in a couple of days, so I should be ok there I think.

All advice appreciated, thanks so much

Comments

If she doesn't want to get married but you know she won't turn you down if you ask, are you not sort of cornering her into it in a 'I know it's not what she wants but I know she won't say no' kind of way?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 abitlost

Candie wrote: »
    If she doesn't want to get married but you know she won't turn you down if you ask, are you not sort of cornering her into it in a 'I know it's not what she wants but I know she won't say no' kind of way?

That probably sounded a bit unromantic to be honest, I think she'd like to get married to me as long as it's low key. I wouldn't be fond of the notion of cornering her, if she said no, then I wouldn't be going through with the real thing ring!

Ah, I get you.

I'm not pushed either way on getting married, but it's more important to my partner so we're getting married. Like you it'll be very low key. Very!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭edeldonlon

I bought our wedding bands via email with cara in Dubai

I went into a shop here in the uk and tried some on and took all the details etc and then emailed cara. It was half the price of here.

The email communication was great and they sent images of them and even engraved them.

My parents were transiting via Dubai for a couple of days and they dropped them off at their hotel free of charge. I asked them to drop them off at 10am and the reception rang at exactly 10am asking my father to collect a package.

I would have a look at some in a shop as just email them. I have been in the shop in Dubai in the past and it’s nothing fancy but the quality is very good for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Cara has a good rep and comes highly recommended. If you have a friend in Dubai I'd be more inclined to get them to go into the shop and haggle when you know what you are after. Also they can check the ring when it's picked to make sure its what you asked for/are paying for.
    No harm in emailing too, would be interesting to see if there's much of difference in the price.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice, Ideally I'd go in and see what is around double my budget and then say I'd like that, but it's too expensive, or can you d it for "x" amount, but they don't have prices on their website, so where to start really?!

Our stop off in Dubai is only 9 hours and we land in at about 6am also, so it's less than ideal.
    I would need to be more or less just picking it up, unless they have one off the shelf in stock for her, but that's a lot pressure timewise. For my budget there may not be much in the way of choice anyway!
    I could get my man on the ground to go in with a picture maybe and see what he could get them down to perhaps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Cara are very good. I bought a gold chain for my wife, but made the mistake of buying pure gold. As it was soft, it broke within 2 weeks. We sent it back via family to Dublai and they swapped it no problem.

Wife is much more careful with it now, but if I was buying again, would buy lower caret as it is harder and more robust.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

I’ve bought off them a couple of times. They’re grand to deal with, you can haggle maybe 10%. Contact them, they will pick you up wherever you are in Dubai and bring you back. You don’t need to worry about getting there.

abitlost wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, Ideally I'd go in and see what is around double my budget and then say I'd like that, but it's too expensive, or can you d it for "x" amount, but they don't have prices on their website, so where to start really?!

Our stop off in Dubai is only 9 hours and we land in at about 6am also, so it's less than ideal.
    I would need to be more or less just picking it up, unless they have one off the shelf in stock for her, but that's a lot pressure timewise. For my budget there may not be much in the way of choice anyway!
    I could get my man on the ground to go in with a picture maybe and see what he could get them down to perhaps...

I doubt you'd get a ring off the shelf in that time. They don't have prices on rings in the shop either its all based on the metal you choose and the size and quality of the stone. A good quality stone will be smaller.
    Get your man on the ground to go in with a pic. He should be able to tell you whether what you want is possible. Do you have a stone in mind? I'd also say with your budget maybe go for a non diamond ring. Just my thoughts but you'd get a decent sapphire for that price with a diamond surround.
    One last thing I would say is read up about the diamond market before you buy, they are not all they are cracked up to be.

wuffly wrote: »
    I doubt you'd get a ring off the shelf in that time. They don't have prices on rings in the shop either its all based on the metal you choose and the size and quality of the stone. A good quality stone will be smaller.
    Get your man on the ground to go in with a pic. He should be able to tell you whether what you want is possible. Do you have a stone in mind? I'd also say with your budget maybe go for a non diamond ring. Just my thoughts but you'd get a decent sapphire for that price with a diamond surround.
    One last thing I would say is read up about the diamond market before you buy, they are not all they are cracked up to be.

Thanks for that, I was thinking white gold aiming for a diamond of some sort, but no idea of what would be attainable with my budget. A glacier wouldn't suit her anyway I think :-)
    Suggestions from the boards diamond enthusiasts would be appreciated!

So I've emailed and they've come back to ask what my budget is, and if I can send a picture of the ring I'd like. Do I say it's 1k-1500 and then ask can they reduce, or where to start?!!

If what I've read around the place you can get about 30% reduced..

• Advertisement

hurikane wrote: »
    I’ve bought off them a couple of times. They’re grand to deal with, you can haggle maybe 10%. Contact them, they will pick you up wherever you are in Dubai and bring you back. You don’t need to worry about getting there.
    Great too, thanks, it will be the airport!

I'd say for that price you'd be looking at .5 -.75 of a carat. ( I wouldn't be very up to date on prices tho)
    If I were you I'd a have a style in mind. As in 'princess cut, .75 carat, quality xx, white gold setting, diamond surround etc...' And see what the price is, that way you can haggle re the size, quality and price to get the overall best deal.

This wouldn't be a massive rock so it really depends on what look you want.
    Some cuts can make a smaller carat look bigger also the setting. a smaller stone with smaller stones at the sides can still looking big/impressive.
    If you want something that looks bigger you could go for a cluster of smaller diamonds.
    I'm talking about big rocks/settings as I'm assuming that's what you're after, a smaller stone in a nice setting is just as nice and more wearable for most.

Its definitely possible to get up to 30% off, it is easier in person tho. They won't agree a price on email then let you haggle when you go to pick it up.

Thanks for the help again, it's quite bewildering!
    I have got in tough with the approach of what can I have for "x", I'm not sure it's the right route.
    Going in with something specific would appear to be a good idea as at least then I could do a like for like comparison with other retailers.
    I was thinking or white gold/platinum with maybe a solitaire, or with some stones either side. Advice on cut, carat and clarity I that should be looking for, I'd appreciate guidance as towards I should be looking at for my budget

Advertisement