Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector questions

Options
  • 17-01-2020 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

A couple of questions somebody might be able help with

1. Can a Gen 3 Wall connector charge other EVs with a type 2 socket or will it only charge tesla cars? Could have 2 EVs, one Tesla and one non-Tesla.
    2. Will the Tesla charger be okay behind a priority switch which could kill it's power while the electric shower is in use ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

20rothmans wrote: »
    A couple of questions somebody might be able help with

1. Can a Gen 3 Wall connector charge other EVs with a type 2 socket or will it only charge tesla cars? Could have 2 EVs, one Tesla and one non-Tesla.
    2. Will the Tesla charger be okay behind a priority switch which could kill it's power while the electric shower is in use ?

Thanks

1. Yes

2. Should be OK. It not uncommon to have charge points configured that way so I cant see why the Gen 3 would be any different other than it will lose its Wifi connection during that time so you'll lose that feature of the Gen 3 when the shower is running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

KCross wrote: »
    1. Yes

2. Should be OK. It not uncommon to have charge points configured that way so I cant see why the Gen 3 would be any different other than it will lose its Wifi connection during that time so you'll lose that feature of the Gen 3 when the shower is running.

Do you have a source for your answers?

That's the way it works with the current chargers so I presume it's the same for the new model.

Sabre Man wrote: »

That's the way it works with the current chargers so I presume it's the same for the new model.

Thats why I said "Should be OK"

There would be no good reason for it to be different. A priority switch is no different to the charge point having a power cut and it would be bad form if the charger cant handle a power cut!

Do I have a Gen 3 wall connector at home to confirm.... no! Thats why I said "should"! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

any idea when this is going to be available to buy in Ireland?

Sabre Man wrote: »

There is also this guy who appears to be a Tesla wall connector installer and I dont see anything different on Tesla's website either to say it will behave differently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭WattsUp

One more question....Currently I mounted my old charger inside the garage. I removed the charging cable from the unit and fed it into garage from external through a 1/2 inch pipe and reconnected to charger. The charger is was inside garage with the charge head outside, stored in a holster.

Would it be possible to remove Tesla charging lead from unit to do the same.

Advertisement