Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knocking on front door/ringing bell

Options
  • 16-01-2020 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

Is there any law around knocking on front door or ringing the bell?

The context is that I know a vulnerable old person who lives with a relative who does not want him to have contact with others.

I another or I ring the bell or knock asking to see him -are we breaking the law?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If you have been asked to leave or not contact why would you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

If you have been asked to leave or not contact why would you want to.

The elder wants contact and help but the relative he lives with does not

Are they been held against their will?

Strange circumstances isn't it.

Yes it is a strange circumstance.

Are they being held against their will? - I cannot determine that as the relative who owns the house will not allow him contact.

A chat at the door with the elder person may help me detriment that, thats why I ask - but for sure he asked for help before this isolation was placed on him.

I just want to know if I or anther person can knock without breaking the law?

• Advertisement

Red Hare wrote: »
    Yes it is a strange circumstance.

Are they being held against their will? - I cannot determine that as the relative who owns the house will not allow him contact.

A chat at the door with the elder person may help me detriment that, thats why I ask - but for sure he asked for help before this isolation was placed on him.

No laws broken unless you are asked to leave and you don't.

Could you contact the HSE and state you fear there are problems and you fear for their safety.

Oh I have tried that but there is a shortage of Hse social worker in the area that he was brought to live in. If i am asked to leave then I will but I intend to knock on the door and ask other to do so too so he is not isolated.
    thanks punisher. I didn't think it was a crime to knock but I wanted to check

Red Hare wrote: »
    Oh I have tried that but there is a shortage of Hse social worker in the area that he was brought to live in. If i am asked to leave then I will but I intend to knock on the door and ask other to do so too so he is not isolated.
    thanks punisher. I didn't think it was a crime to knock but I wanted to check

No problems at all, hope it works out.

I'd definitely keep at them, the HSE and make it clear you have very strong concern for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Do Gardaí have any function here if OP is so concerned about the safety and welfare of the elderly person ? If so, it might help if they could call and ask to see the person in question.

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Do Gardaí have any function here if OP is so concerned about the safety and welfare of the elderly person ? If so, it might help if they could call and ask to see the person in question.

Yes if you believe someone is held against their will or could be in imminent danger etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Try Age Action or other similar group as well. Meals on Wheels etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/problems_in_marriages_and_other_relationships/elder_abuse.html
    This also refers you to local Health Centre, GP, Public Health Nurse or Garda Síochana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Is this a follow-up to your proposed candle light vigil in 2018?

Not really harry!:rolleyes:

There is I believe something called "assumed right of access". In a nutshell it's basically where let's say the postman has a right to access your property. Not enter your house obviously, but if he needs to set foot on your property, ie walk into your garden/yard in order to reach your door to deliver your mail, it's "assumed" he's not actually trespassing.

Same applies to anyone else who wishes to contact you, could be your neighbours, could be couriers, could be TD's canvassing for the vote, whatever. Anyone can knock on your door, just like anyone can refuse to open a door. You are only doing wrong if the property owner informs you that you are not to do this again.

But that's just to answer your question about knocking on the door. As other posters have said, if you genuinely feel concern for the safety and well-being of someone in the house there are better courses of action you should be taking instead of sticking your own beak in where it isn't wanted. There are agencies out there better experienced and better equipped to deal with this, don't be afraid to speak with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭rock22

Go to this website https://www.safeguardingireland.org/

From you description, this may be a vulnerable adult and requires safeguarding. There is a moral, and possibly a legal, obligation to report such cases

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Safeguarding Ireland, definitely. If you suspected that a child was in danger you would contact Tusla. You could be correct in your suspicions. You could be wrong. These agencies are there for the welfare of all of us. They have well-defined strategies and policies. Although it's not an exact science, they do generally get it right.Persisting in ringing someone's doorbell could just result in being termed a nosy neighbour, though one's concern might be thoroughly genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There is I believe something called "assumed right of access". In a nutshell it's basically where let's say the postman has a right to access your property. Not enter your house obviously, but if he needs to set foot on your property, ie walk into your garden/yard in order to reach your door to deliver your mail, it's "assumed" he's not actually trespassing.
    The basic principle here is that if you have an open route from the street to your door and a bell, then it is assumed that you have provided these things for members of the public to come in and knock on your door, and it is therefore not trespass.

Someone opening a closed gate to access this route is not trespassing. Someone climbing a locked gate to do so, is trespassing.

It is however, civil trespass and not automatically criminal trespass. In the case that a specific individual is expressly told that they must leave and cannot come back, then it is civil trespass if they return. But the ability to enforce this is minimal. The Gardai will not turn up and arrest them, they will merely ask them to leave the premises.

Advertisement