Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BHAA 2020

• 16-01-2020 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭

Following on from a very windy opener in Tymon last week (although the ground was ok) :-

Results BoI XC 2020

Attention now turns to the Eir XC in Cherryfield this Saturday.

I ran this one two years ago, in pouring rain with some heavy ground to negotiate, plus I remember a few people slipping. Some nice drags in there too. Who's in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

I'll be dawdling around the back of the pack somewhere. Looks like it's going to be a frosty one. Was trying to picture where there could be hills in that park, was thinking it'll be relatively flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Following on from a very windy opener in Tymon last week (although the ground was ok) :-

Results BoI XC 2020

Attention now turns to the Eir XC in Cherryfield this Saturday.

I ran this one two years ago, in pouring rain with some heavy ground to negotiate, plus I remember a few people slipping. Some nice drags in there too. Who's in?

Was definitely always a challenge with plenty of falls. See below. We were spoiled yesterday. Lovely sunny day and great conditons. The longer and more miserable the xc, the better!

26850218_10155074119417377_6781500220303873830_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=_VK1t2GIu6QAX8CR8ZJ&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=1002&oh=8c1144d52b3d1c74f88057e9fdab4406&oe=5ED9F158

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RunnerDub

Kissy Lips wrote: »
    Was definitely always a challenge with plenty of falls. See below. We were spoiled yesterday. Lovely sunny day and great conditons. The longer and more miserable the xc, the better!

26850218_10155074119417377_6781500220303873830_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=_VK1t2GIu6QAX8CR8ZJ&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=1002&oh=8c1144d52b3d1c74f88057e9fdab4406&oe=5ED9F158

I took that pic 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RunnerDub

I took over 700 pics yesterday at the BHAA eir ESCCU XC race.

Link below

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmKNWqJx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Next up is the Garda race, starting and finishing near the Magazine Fort.

A long time favourite of mine, it is also part of the Lord Mayor's 5 Alive Challenge.

According to the Norwegians, we're to have mainly dry weather in the lead up, so the ground should be firm at least :) However, having to go up the hill from near the bottom of the Khyber three times is always a challenging proposition, regardless of the conditions :D Hope to see some of ye there.

• Advertisement

Next up is the Garda race, starting and finishing near the Magazine Fort.

A long time favourite of mine, it is also part of the Lord Mayor's 5 Alive Challenge.

According to the Norwegians, we're to have mainly dry weather in the lead up, so the ground should be firm at least :) However, having to go up the hill from near the bottom of the Khyber three times is always a challenging proposition, regardless of the conditions :D Hope to see some of ye there.

What is the latest do you think I could arrive to collect my pre-registered number? The race starts at 11:30. The baby comes first now apparantly.

Probably 10:30-10:40. Remember the women are away for their 2 miler at 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Paddy1234

Probably 10:30-10:40. Remember the women are away for their 2 miler at 11.

If you have pre-registered all you have to do is pick up the number. 11 o clock you’ll be grand.

Made it. That was one of the driest cross country races I have done. Could have got away without spikes but even in dry conditions I'll choose spikes because of how light they are.

It is great seeing all of the 5 alive runners. Hope they do more BHAA races and keep running.

Another great BHAA race.

Really enjoyed that one, in challenging conditions for all, although at least the ground was dry. Couldn't stay for the post race treats this time, unfortunately.

Women's 2 Mile

Men's 4 Mile

Photos (by Ian Redican)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Anyone have the course profile for the Dunboyne 5 mile in May that they don't mind sharing?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Anyone have the course profile for the Dunboyne 5 mile in May that they don't mind sharing?

I haven't done it in a good few years but recall that it was pretty much the same course each year, e.g. you register at the clubhouse, walk about half a mile to the starting line, and then head out on a scenic series of country lanes.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/785886118

(If you look at the course profile in OpenStreetMaps it shows you reaching the Meath-Kildare county boundary at some road junctions but if you look in Google Maps there's a few yards and a fence or two to climb if you wanted to add in another county to your race experience).

It's very flat and quite fast. I set my sub-35 min PB for 5 miles on that course about 12 or 13 years ago, at a time when I'd otherwise be doing 35:30-35:45 for 5 mile races. (With all the 10k races nowadays you won't get that many opportunities to run a flat, fast course like it).

They might have bulldozed some of the hedgerows in recent years but I recall it having good shelter from wind, rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Thanks a mill I appreciate that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Here you go...

Well done to all who ran the National Masters and Inters in Avondale - a very difficult course, regardless of where you were in the pecking order!

Back to BHAA action this Saturday, for the ALSAA 2 mile/5 mile races. Although the course is fairly flat, the ground can be quite heavy, with the Norwegians currently forecasting a wet Saturday morning - so the second long BHAA cross country may be a bit of an endurance test! Best of luck to all.

Some of you may have seen the updated calendar. The indoor mile in Abbotstown certainly caught my eye :D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Judging by the finishing times I'd imagine that quite a few were 'blown off course' on Saturday.

Next race is in Wesley College.

https://bhaa.ie/events/central-bank-wesley-college-feb-22nd-2020/

However, and this is my vague recollection of travelling on 'Deep South' ventures of many decades ago, I thought that school was somewhere out in Ballinteer direction? The map shows that their sports grounds is in Dundrum anyway. (In my time I'd imagine Nick Sweeney was probably still throwing the discus out that way, so no idea if they've a new sports campus, but just looks so built up).

EDIT: have found my pre-smartphone roadmap! Junction 13 has existed for longer than I remember but much of the remaining road network is dotted lines on the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Judging by the finishing times I'd imagine that quite a few were 'blown off course' on Saturday.

Next race is in Wesley College.

https://bhaa.ie/events/central-bank-wesley-college-feb-22nd-2020/

However, and this is my vague recollection of travelling on 'Deep South' ventures of many decades ago, I thought that school was somewhere out in Ballinteer direction? The map shows that their sports grounds is in Dundrum anyway. (In my time I'd imagine Nick Sweeney was probably still throwing the discus out that way, so no idea if they've a new sports campus, but just looks so built up).

Ballinteer and Dundrum are beside each other. Think the school is basically on the boundary of the two.

It's 2 min drive from exit 13 off the M50, signposted "Sandyford, Dundrum R826"

Advertisement