Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where did the Bierra Moretti trend come from?

Options
  • 15-01-2020 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

A few years ago I'd never heard of this beer, now it's showing up on tap all over the place - even in pubs which have fairly little by way of choice outside the standard draughts - and a lot of my friends are explicitly ordering it as their beer of choice since last Autumn.

I wondered if it might be a recent invention, but according to Wikipedia it was founded in 1994 and bought by Heineken in 2015, so nothing to explain a sudden 2019 surge in popularity - was there a big marketing push or something along those lines?

Nothing against it or anything, just surprised as breaking into the mainstream seems to be exceptionally difficult in Ireland for a beer, and Bierra Moretti seems to be managing it without a noticeable marketing or PR drive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

A few years ago I'd never heard of this beer, now it's showing up on tap all over the place - even in pubs which have fairly little by way of choice outside the standard draughts - and a lot of my friends are explicitly ordering it as their beer of choice since last Autumn.

I wondered if it might be a recent invention, but according to Wikipedia it was founded in 1994 and bought by Heineken in 2015, so nothing to explain a sudden 2019 surge in popularity - was there a big marketing push or something along those lines?

Nothing against it or anything, just surprised as breaking into the mainstream seems to be exceptionally difficult in Ireland for a beer, and Bierra Moretti seems to be managing it without a noticeable marketing or PR drive.

Its nice. Nicer than that peroni piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

It's the nicest of the non craft beers in my opinion. Also if they are now under the Heineken umbrella they will have access to more bars/markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

was there a big marketing push or something along those lines?
    yes, that's all there is to it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Funnily enough, I drank Peroni in Italy, as I didn't want to drink Heineken etc. Then one day I tried Moretti, and I have to say I loved it. But it wasn't as easily available as Peroni. My friend LOVES Peroni, and hates Moretti.

Must watch out for it on tap, I often prefer draught to bottled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It's quite nice. I like Peroni, too. Not sure how anyone can call Peroni piss tbh. I always associated beers that someone would call piss with bland nondescript beers like Coors or Bud, not exactly Peroni. Nice, hoppy and crisp, if anything a bit strong on all those things. But I prefer Moretti and I think the more the merrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

By which you mean Nastro Azzurro I expect rather than Peroni Gran Reserva or any of the other Peroni beers.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moretti is simply benefitting from the Heineken ownership in the same way that you see Lagunitas IPA on draught in quite a few pubs in Dublin these days. Can't say I've ever been too keen on it myself. The one mainstream Italian lager I wouldn't mind seeing here is the red label Peroni. Afaik it's just their bog-standard lager as opposed to the "premium" Nastro Azzurro, but it's a lot tastier imo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I believe Heineken Ireland are losing the Coors marketing setup (as Molson scale up in Ireland themselves) at some stage soon enough; so they may be doing this push to retain tap space. However I could have been grossly misinformed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Is it gluten free? I know one of them Italian brands is

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Is it gluten free? I know one of them Italian brands is

Peroni has a gluten free version of Nastro Azzuro. Don't think it's on draught anywhere though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I wondered if it might be a recent invention, but according to Wikipedia it was founded in 1994 and bought by Heineken in 2015

:confused:

"Birra Moretti is an Italian brewing company, founded in Udine in 1859 by Luigi Moretti.[1] In 1996 the company was acquired by Heineken International."

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement