Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewable Energy Inventions

Options
  • 15-01-2020 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey, I am new to this so I hope I am writing in the correct place. Basically, i am in my mid 20s and I have 3rd level qualifications in computer science. 6 or 7 years back i came up with a book of different ideas and designs based on the basic scientific principals of renewable energy and generating electricity (solar, tidal and wind). I have a design for a device to refreeze the Artic using solar power, designs that could be used to better the electric car industry by improving their efficiency and a design to clean dirty drinking water again using solar power. I have been sitting on these ideas for the above time frame and the more I think about them and how they run the more I can see a great use for these devices in todays world. Now, my problem is that all these designs are basically in my head, I can see them but I cannot capture the full picture when I try to sketch. I need serious advice on this and have looked down all the Enterprise Ireland routes to no avail. So here I am, posting here to hopefully gain some insight on how to proceed, I would also love some company recommendations for CAD designs and Prototypes as my searches and emails have not been to fruitful. Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

If your ideas are feasible you will require extensive research and development, prototyping, testing etc., in other words you will need lots of money.
    Enterprise Ireland and other agencies will only be interested in relatively proven concepts that can deliver outcomes in a set timeframe. You need to look to the research community to develop this, if indeed your concepts have technical merit.

There is enormous funding available for energy research through Europa 2020, but the funding is normally accessed by third level institutions, NGO’s etc rather than individuals. Some of the best minds in the world are working in this area.

You do not seem to have any qualifications in the area of renewables from the info provided, not doubting you but be prepared to have some flaws in your concepts pointed out in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

OP, I might be able to put you in touch with some people who could steer you in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dylanwasl

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it your thoughts on it. Its the first I have heard of Europa 2020 so I will definitely look into that in greater detail. The main reason I want to try progress with this is so I can see if my designs and the applications of those designs are feasible as it is currently a question mark in my head that has been there for a long time so I am trying to get moving so I can know if it holds any technical merit and implement or forget about it. When you say " You need to look to the research community to develop this" could I ask you to shed a bit more light on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

dylanwasl wrote: »
    ........... 6 or 7 years back i came up with a book of different ideas and designs based on the basic scientific principals of renewable energy and generating electricity (solar, tidal and wind). I have a design for a device to refreeze the Artic using solar power, designs that could be used to better the electric car industry by improving their efficiency and a design to clean dirty drinking water again using solar power. I have been sitting on these ideas for the above time frame ............ my problem is that all these designs are basically in my head....

Toyota has, since the 1990’s, invested a few billion in EV technology and has been producing hybrids since 1997, about 12 million vehicles in total, now grown to sales of 2 million units a year. Add all the other marques and you get an idea of the scope for your idea. BMW & Mercedes have a JV in the US for EV’s and have already invested more than $1 billion. I’m sure your ideas get the red carpet treatment there.

Solar power has been used for almost 40 years for water purification, the most basic being light to kill the pathogens; solar panels have been used for decades to power reverse osmosis pumps or UV light or simple condensers. Many of the producers of mini-units for sale cheapo on Amazon would welcome you too!

Industrial-scale wind-parks (not just windfarms) have been around since the 1970’s. As for tidal, have you heard of or followed the history of OpenHydro? A great case study!

Refreezing the Arctic I know nothing about but I'm sure people will be queuing up to help/invest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

dylanwasl wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it your thoughts on it. Its the first I have heard of Europa 2020 so I will definitely look into that in greater detail. The main reason I want to try progress with this is so I can see if my designs and the applications of those designs are feasible as it is currently a question mark in my head that has been there for a long time so I am trying to get moving so I can know if it holds any technical merit and implement or forget about it. When you say " You need to look to the research community to develop this" could I ask you to shed a bit more light on that?

What I mean is that you will need to talk to people that research and develop RE technologies. They are the only ones that can help you. The likes of Enterprise Ireland won’t take you seriously unless your concepts are 100% proven and you can show it is commercially viable. Proving something works and proving viability are two different things btw.

Pedroeibar1 has laid out the difficulty you will face. There has been billions spent in this area and every conceivable idea has already been examined. Perhaps you have happened upon something that will solve the worlds energy and climate crisis, but I doubt it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement