Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple CarPlay in Audi A3 8p/2010

• 15-01-2020 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of a simpliest option to get Apple CarPlay in Audi A3 8P (2010). It has built in stereo with double DIN screen, all in Japanese :)
    Are there any options to get Apple CarPlay support without replacing the whole stereo system, i.e. using the native thing? May be, connecting some device which would use native stereo device as screen only, or installing another system image on the native stereo device.. Anyone has such experience or suggestions?
    Or, if that's not possible, any suggestions on the replacement device to fit in Audi A3 8p/2010?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would suggest that the only route is to change out the headunit.

Halfords actually have decent value in headunits.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 p17s82

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I would suggest that the only route is to change out the headunit.

Halfords actually have decent value in headunits.

Thanks for response. I also have an option to get RNS-E Audi head unit for very cheap - would that make any change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

p17s82 wrote: »
    Thanks for response. I also have an option to get RNS-E Audi head unit for very cheap - would that make any change?

RNS E was outdated 10 years ago never mind today - i had an 8P S3 and i upgraded to a pioneer apple car play unit, was a pig to fit but worth it.

You'll need a cage - facia plate - and a couple of wiring harness depending on what set up you have now i.e Bose or non bose and also a steering wheel patch lead to retain the steering wheel controls, i got all the above in a kit from the UK for around 80-100 euro.

tossy wrote: »
    RNS E was outdated 10 years ago never mind today - i had an 8P S3 and i upgraded to a pioneer apple car play unit, was a pig to fit but worth it.

You'll need a cage - facia plate - and a couple of wiring harness depending on what set up you have now i.e Bose or non bose and also a steering wheel patch lead to retain the steering wheel controls, i got all the above in a kit from the UK for around 80-100 euro.

Thanks, that was the last option which I was trying to avoid, but looks like it's going that direction anyway.
    Is there anything to consider except the 2DIN size and functionality when choosing the radio? E.g. anything like steering wheel controls or reverse camera compatibility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

p17s82 wrote: »
    Thanks, that was the last option which I was trying to avoid, but looks like it's going that direction anyway.
    Is there anything to consider except the 2DIN size and functionality when choosing the radio? E.g. anything like steering wheel controls or reverse camera compatibility?

Pretty much all the good ones will have an input for a reverse camera and support steering wheel controls, you will need to buy a patch lead to plug in to enable steering wheel controls - the lead will differ depending on the brand name of the headunit.

Something like this kit will have everything you need, you just need to make sure the patch lead supplied will work with whatever unit you choose.

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-connects2-ctkau01_p-35742.htm#

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »
    Pretty much all the good ones will have an input for a reverse camera and support steering wheel controls, you will need to buy a patch lead to plug in to enable steering wheel controls - the lead will differ depending on the brand name of the headunit.

Something like this kit will have everything you need, you just need to make sure the patch lead supplied will work with whatever unit you choose.

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-connects2-ctkau01_p-35742.htm#

Thank you so much for the info!

Advertisement