Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build with long driveway

Options
  • 15-01-2020 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

I'm considering applying for planning for a new build on my land, but thinking of setting the site well away from the road, approximately 200m, in order to make the most of the views while screening from neighbouring properties.

Has anyone any experience to share with a similar situation?

- Approximate additional cost of utility connections?
    - Planning difficulties?

Concreting/tarmacing the drive is an obvious drawback - but I can't see that being done for a while after the build is complete!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭Homer

As far as I know the planners like to keep properties roughly in line with each other so may shoot your idea down about setting it back off the road if surrounding properties are not built the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just finished our house and it is 800M from the public road.

ESB connection fee was 2K as we are under 500M from the nearest line.

Water, Broadband etc, same cost as if we were at the road.

We have just a gravel road for now. Big potholes appearing already. We fixed them about a month ago but they have come back.

We had lots of planning difficulties and put in a number of applications. Honestly, it seems to be just at the whim of whatever planner on the day. Some had issues with the length of the road, others didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Faiche Ro

arctictree wrote: »

We have just a gravel road for now. Big potholes appearing already. We fixed them about a month ago but they have come back.

We had lots of planning difficulties and put in a number of applications. Honestly, it seems to be just at the whim of whatever planner on the day. Some had issues with the length of the road, others didn't.

The water connection will be aprox 2270 euro if the mains is under 10m from the boundary of your site. This fee is just to bring the mains to your gate effectively - you'll have to have it brought up the driveway to your house yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Faiche Ro wrote: »
    The water connection will be aprox 2270 euro if the mains is under 10m from the boundary of your site. This fee is just to bring the mains to your gate effectively - you'll have to have it brought up the driveway to your house yourself.

But water mains is relatively cheap , a deep trench next to your drive and a few rolls of half inch pipe ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

arctictree wrote: »

Often people say just a gravel road.

But when done properly a gravel road is far superior to a tarmac road.

Did you use geogrid or similar for the gravel ? Small changes to design at the start pay massive dividends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭onrail

Thanks for the replies - it's good to know that ESB and Water win't break the bank.

Yeah I see planning as being an issue alright. A local Architect told me that chances are around 50-60%, but I love the site, so think I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭onrail

listermint wrote: »
    Often people say just a gravel road.

But when done properly a gravel road is far superior to a tarmac road.

Did you use geogrid or similar for the gravel ? Small changes to design at the start pay massive dividends

Any design standard/guide you could recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭rednoggin

Sorry to bump the thread. Did you get your planning approved in the end? I'm looking to do something similar, i'd be 150m away from the road.

Advertisement