Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 on my lap-top.

Options
  • 15-01-2020 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I'm a non-tekkie running Windows 7 on my laptop. Should I upgrade to Windows 10, and if so, is there a budget way to do it?
    Can I just stay as I am?
    Should I panic?
    No further questions.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You can usually upgrade for free:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Windows 7 is at end of life and if there are any nasty security holes found they will not likely be fixed.
    Windows 10 is alright, it’s a bit creepy and spies on you but you can turn that off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I did the free upgrade process on a work laptop. It went pretty well except Ms Office products got a lot slower - excel and outlook anyway.

Prior to this the boot time was long but it was reliable once it got going, now I'm facing more delays opening excel files. I think it's actually when I click the file menu button to open a file (from one drive for example) that I notice most delays... No doubt windows 10 is loading a bunch of resources and clever menus and locations that I'm never going to use.

Chrome now takes ages to load, whereas the newly installed MS Edge is quite fast.

Not much can be done about this. My laptop is at least 5 years old at this stage.. No bios update available for Windows 10.

A clean install of Windows 10 may result in better performance, and maybe some extra memory would help.. but it looks like I'll be buying a new laptop soon. This one's obsolete.

So... It's a trade-off between security and performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

5uspect wrote: »
    You can usually upgrade for free:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Windows 7 is at end of life and if there are any nasty security holes found they will not likely be fixed.
    Windows 10 is alright, it’s a bit creepy and spies on you but you can turn that off.

Free upgrade ended in 2016. You need to pay to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

towger wrote: »
    Free upgrade ended in 2016. You need to pay to upgrade.

Right and wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Apparently still able to upgrade
    Look through windows forum

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

coylemj wrote: »

Thanks all, I found a free download, and it was going fine until it told me I hadn't enough space on my hard drive. I did a thorough disc clean up twice, but still not enough.
    Can anyone tell a non-tekkie how to get more space?

tony glenn wrote: »
    Thanks all, I found a free download, and it was going fine until it told me I hadn't enough space on my hard drive. I did a thorough disc clean up twice, but still not enough.
    Can anyone tell a non-tekkie how to get more space?
    https://www.foldersizes.com/

Or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

Many thanks, I'll try it tomorrow.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement