Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner DSLR

Options
  • 14-01-2020 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Hi looking to get a beginner DSLR for casual use. Bringing on walks and holidays and some photography of scale models (1/35 scale other hobby) I have narrowed it down to
    Canon EOS 2000D SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit
    and
    Nikon D3500 DSLR Camera plus AF-P 18-55mm non-VR Lens
    They seem to both be good cameras with the built in wifi edging the Canon ahead in my very inexperienced opinion.
    I have also been looking at mirrorless camera's. The smaller size and lighter weight really appeal to me but I am concerned I may buy a dud. A lot of review videos just seem to be a list of stats and technical information which I cannot make head or tail of
    If anyone could give me some advice or even point me in the direction of a good YouTube channel/website for reviews I would very much appreciate it.
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Judging by the two options you're looking at, your budget is around €400? I'm very much in the mirrorless camp and if you're thinking long term, that's where I would recommend to invest in a system. However, in terms of performance, at that budget you'll probably get better return by going the DSLR route. Mirrorless has caught up a lot on performance with DSLR but I think the gap is still there at the lower end of the market.

One mirrorless option that would in around your budget is this (disclaimer, I'm a total Fuji fanboi)...
    Fuji X-T100 with the XC15-45mm

There's an X-T200 on the way too so the price may even drop a little in the coming weeks/months.

The X-A5 could be a good option too. It's been replaced by the X-A7 which is obviously going to cost more.

IMO, given what you want - "walks and holidays" in particular - mirrorless is ideal for the reasons you mentioned. They are lighter, smaller, and quieter. As for the scale models, whichever route you go, you need to look at macro lens for that kind of close focus and detail. A standard kit lens will struggle in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

To do the macro photography of the models, you'll probably want a good macro lens. The kit lens might do the job from a distance, but macro or a tilt/shift would be better for that particular type of photography.
    Generally a "kit lens" is very generally functional, and doesn't do "edge cases" like macro well.
    The kit lens is generally good for general walking around type photography, though.
    Don't let "need of a macro lens" stop things, just know that if it becomes a real interest, there'll be more expense later on, and you'll have a good idea what to get for the best birthday or chrimbo etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭backthephilup

Thanks for the very helpful advice. Went for a Panasonic GX 80 in the end.

Advertisement