Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

32A EVSE Installation

Options
  • 14-01-2020 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

I plan to install an 32A charger at the garage door. The meter box is on the wall of the garage and the supply to the distribution goes from meter box on outside wall of through the garage to the distribution board in the hall.

First off. Is there any way I would be allowed to install a mini-distribution board in the garage that has one feed for charger and the other feed to the min distribution board in the house ? Some type of priority switch could be fitted to load shed the car if house demand exceeded 32A of 64A available.

If that is not allowed then I guess I would have to take a feed off the main distribution board in the hall back out to the charger in the garage. What are the option for load shedding on the main board?
    I assume I could put the car on a priority switch with the shower so that when shower comes on car goes off? The shower is rated for 40A
    Are there an different considerations for a 32A car versus a 40A shower, given the car could be on for long periods competing with cookers, washers , dryers, emersion etc etc where as the shower would only be on for 5 minutes at a time.

I trying to figure out how to do this correctly, meeting all the regulations, but with minimum amount of cabling etc.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

20rothmans wrote: »
    I plan to install an 32A charger at the garage door. The meter box is on the wall of the garage and the supply to the distribution goes from meter box on outside wall of through the garage to the distribution board in the hall.

First off. Is there any way I would be allowed to install a mini-distribution board in the garage that has one feed for charger and the other feed to the min distribution board in the house ?

Yes, you can do something like that.

Basically the current meter box would feed a new distribution board in the garage, which will have a 60A fuse, and THAT distribution board would feed the house using the existing cable that runs from the meter to the hall AND it will also feed the new charge point.

You cant have two feeds directly off the meter box.

Since you have an electric shower you then need to look at either a priority switch so that only the shower or car can be on at any one time or else a charge point that can sense the whole house load and reduce its power dynamically.... Zappi and Garo do this.

Advertisement