Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels (Showtime)

Options
  • 14-01-2020 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭

A spiritual descendant of the original Penny Dreadful story set in Victorian-era London, Penny Dreadful: City of Angels opens in 1938 Los Angeles, a time and place deeply infused with social and political tension. When a grisly murder shocks the city, Detective Tiago Vega (Daniel Zovatto) and his partner Lewis Michener (Nathan Lane) become embroiled in an epic story that reflects the rich history of Los Angeles: from the building of the city's first freeways and its deep traditions of Mexican-American folklore, to the dangerous espionage actions of the Third Reich and the rise of radio evangelism. Before long, Tiago and his family are grappling with powerful forces that threaten to tear them apart.

Casting List

Main

• Natalie Dormer as Magda, a supernatural demon who can take the form of anyone she chooses
    • Daniel Zovatto as Tiago Vega, the LAPD's first Mexican-American detective
    • Jessica Garza as Josefina Vega, the youngest child of the Vega family
    • Johnathan Nieves as Mateo Vega, Tiago's younger brother
    • Nathan Lane as Lewis Michener, a veteran LAPD officer and Vega’s partner
    • Adriana Barraza as Maria Vega, the matriarch of the Vega family
    • Rory Kinnear as Peter Craft, a German pediatrician and the head of the German-American Bund
    • Kerry Bishé as Sister Molly, a charismatic radio evangelist
    • Michael Gladis as Charlton Townsend, a councilman and head of the LA City Council’s Transportation Committee
    Recurring

• Amy Madigan as Adelaide Finnister, Molly's mother
    • Brent Spiner as Ned Vanderhoff, a police captain and Vega and Michener's boss
    • Lin Shaye as Dottie Minter, a friend to Michener
    • Lorenza Izzo as Santa Muerte
    • Adam Rodriguez as Raul Vega
    • Thomas Kretschmann as Richard Goss, a German architect
    • Dominic Sherwood as Kurt, Goss's chauffeur
    • Ethan Peck as Hermann Ackermann, second-in-command at the German-American Bund
    • Piper Perabo as Linda Craft, Peter's wife
    • Adan Rocha as Diego Lopez

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

April 26th
    https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/penny-dreadful-city-of-angels-news/

Dubious, but hopeful. Absolutely loved Penny Dreadful (except of course the ending), so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,417 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Starts next Sunday, I'm liking the feel of the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,510 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is it airing over here on Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well, it certainly doesn't hurt to have Brent Spiner in that opening scene of the trailer!

• Advertisement

A solid opening episode introducing the main players.

I'm just after watching it now because it was on after the Homeland finale..

Ah..weak enough I thought..
    Why does everything have to have a feckin dance scene in it these days..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

I really liked Penny Dreadful but not sure there's a huge appetite for this. Very bad viewing figures for the first two episodes. I wonder will it be a self-contained season or end on a cliff-hanger and likely get cancelled....

1: Good opening. Brent Spiner sells the show plenty for me. Saying that though, they've a good look and feel to the city and the characters.

Cool to see Adam Rodriguez who I remember from before I lost track of CSI Miami.

Seeing some common themes here to the The Plot Against America.
    A solid opening episode introducing the main players.

I was all like.. I won't be investing emotionally in any of the characters.. in either direction .. just yet! Not for a Penny Dreadful!

2:
    Oh **** Me! That jump scare at the end really got me!

Development of the story episode. Again reminders of Hunters/Plot Against America.

The one bit that threw me off was the mention of Tahiti! It's like I'm conditioned to think: It's a magical place! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Niska wrote: »

Bit surprised at that Sky Atlantic are usually quick to show a new series.

3: That was a bit wierd. Felt like half an episode and then half a filler musical.

4: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Talk about going from a musical-ish feel in the last episode up to an 11 on on the Penny Dreadful scale. :eek:

Jeez
    THE FREAKIN NECK GURGLIN!
    :eek:

Man, the whole musical thing is pretty weak..

It really felt like it took me out of the immersion.
    It was like.. what's going on.. I thought this was Penny Dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

Watched the first episode. It has potential, but didn't pull me in so far.

5: Many story arcs being done here and the cast is putting in socks into all of em. My guess on
    the Nazi is that he's planning roads that would make for an easier transport of an invasion army.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I'm finding the show very well made, and cinematography is excellent....but it is not one bit scary. I think it's trying to showcase Natalie Dormer's acting ability first and foremost. I'd prefer scares

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I'm finding the show very well made, and cinematography is excellent....but it is not one bit scary. I think it's trying to showcase Natalie Dormer's acting ability first and foremost. I'd prefer scares

I'm just watching the latest episode now, and remembered this post..

She can't act..

I don't know if it's just her or is it another art being lost, but Jesus, she's brutal in this.. about as subtle as a brick through a window..

• Advertisement

The story is very disappointing.

They have a hugely talented cast along with what looks like a very big budget to remake 1930's Hollywood look stunning.

I guess the used up all the public domain characters in the first series that they didn't have many if any left to pick from for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Have skipped on watching this as reading some reviews it is terrible and nothing like the first season - is there any point in watching it?

It can't be compared to the original anyway..

Different league altogether..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

fritzelly wrote: »
    Have skipped on watching this as reading some reviews it is terrible and nothing like the first season - is there any point in watching it?
    i gave up half-way through the second episode. It's no 'spiritual heir'. Lush settings aside, it's just trading on the quality of the original. It actually feels more like 'The Terror', as a supernatural anthology looked at through a cultural prism in different eras. That had a rubbish second series as well.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,215 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It can't be compared to the original anyway..

Different league altogether..

100% agreed.

There is no worldly comparison to the original series, and absolutely no connection to the initial idea of "penny dreadfuls" either. The only connection is the creator and TV company.

This should have been just presented as a stand alone, and I think the addition of the brand was just to pique some interest

• Registered Users Posts: 85,510 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Penny Dreadful: City Of Angels starts on Sky Atlantic on Wednesday July 1st at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Have the last 3 episodes to watch and I just can't make the effort to watch them. As mentioned by previous posters it's nothing like the original.

Really disappointing series story wise with no connection to the original series.

They had the budget and the cast to make some special however the story let them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,997 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

After watching ten episodes I thought, here we go, it's warming up to the big finish. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that No 10 was the finish, and that it was nowhere near big. I'm not one of the ones criticising the series for being nothing like the original series, as I think it stood on its own, apart from when it failed to deliver at the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Nazi doctor was in the original series I think , he looks like the guy who played Frankensteins monster.

Advertisement