Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Insurance and Estate Fees.

Options
  • 14-01-2020 5:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Our deceased parent left an insurance policy for the children. The executor of the estate is one of the children and has not released any funds, stating that it went towards Estate fees. Is this correct/legal?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Legal advice not permitted here.

However, on general principles, I would have thought that the executor was obliged to account for the matter at issue and to apply the life assurance proceeds correctly as an asset of the estate if that is where they should have gone.

Also, I would be curious to know if the policy had nominated specific beneficiaries as distinct from a general designation like the legal personal representatives of ABC deceased and intended for the general assets of the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gizzy Ireland

Thank you for clearing that up re what can and can't be discussed.

To answer your question, the Insurance policy specified beneficiaries. I was under the impression when that was the case the Insurance couldn't be used for any other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,321 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Thank you for clearing that up re what can and can't be discussed.

To answer your question, the Insurance policy specified beneficiaries. I was under the impression when that was the case the Insurance couldn't be used for any other reason.

that would be my understanding as well. the insurance company should have distributed the policy amount directly to the beneficiaries. If i were the people involved i would be talking to a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 UrbanVixen

Try and get a copy of the policy as the way it was written should answer the core question in relation to entitlement to it's proceeds.

If the will was admitted to probate see if the Probate Office will give you a copy of the schedule of assets. I would be curious to know if the policy proceeds were included as part of the assets of the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

that would be my understanding as well. the insurance company should have distributed the policy amount directly to the beneficiaries. If i were the people involved i would be talking to a solicitor.

The insurance company are entitled to make a payemnt to the executor as they have a legal obligation to distribute correctly. If there has been a misuse they are personally liable. Is the executor doing the work himself or do they have a solicitor?

• Advertisement

randomrb wrote: »
    The insurance company are entitled to make a payemnt to the executor as they have a legal obligation to distribute correctly. If there has been a misuse they are personally liable. Is the executor doing the work himself or do they have a solicitor?

Life policies with named beneficiaries do not form part of a persons estate. Or at least the revenue commissioners dont seem to think so. the insurance company should have distributed the money directly to the benficiaries.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/documents/guide-to-completing-an-inland-revenue-affidavit-ca24-2003.pdf
    Annotation-2020-01-15-152727.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gizzy Ireland

Thank you all so much. That gives me something to work with. Appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Life policies with named beneficiaries do not form part of a persons estate. Or at least the revenue commissioners dont seem to think so. the insurance company should have distributed the money directly to the benficiaries.

I don't disagree with you but in practice even assets which pass outside of the estate are usually managed by the Executor

randomrb wrote: »
    I don't disagree with you but in practice even assets which pass outside of the estate are usually managed by the Executor

insurance policies with defined beneficiaries are not assets of the deceased.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Our deceased parent left an insurance policy for the children. The executor of the estate is one of the children and has not released any funds, stating that it went towards Estate fees. Is this correct/legal?

Thank you.

Might be.

Ask the Executor for an account of their actions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

insurance policies with defined beneficiaries are not assets of the deceased.

Indeed but the beneficiaries are unlikely to have been the policy owners.

Indeed but the beneficiaries are unlikely to have been the policy owners.

i would imagine the beneficiaries of a standard life insurance policy being the policy owner are pretty close to 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,275 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

i would imagine the beneficiaries of a standard life insurance policy being the policy owner are pretty close to 0.
    No. The owner of an insurance policy is the person who effects it, and who pays the premiums - in this case, the deceased.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    No. The owner of an insurance policy is the person who effects it, and who pays the premiums - in this case, the deceased.

Exactly. and that person is unlikely to be named as a beneficiary of said policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,275 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Exactly. and that person is unlikely to be named as a beneficiary of said policy.
    Actually, that's not uncommon. I insure my own life, naming myself as beneficiary; the result is that on my death the insurance proceeds form part of my estate and I can provide in my will for who is to get them. I can them change this from time to time as my capricious whims dictate, according to which of my relatives are in favour and which are not, without having to cancel and reissue the policy (which might be difficult, if my health has deteriorated).

Peregrinus wrote: »

That's incorrect.

The legal owner can be someone else - an example is a partnership assurance scheme where the life assured and person assured are different. As I already said that's rare.

p.s. The policy could have been set up in trust for someone else too.

Advertisement