Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Lock?

Options
  • 14-01-2020 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭

I can't find the key to my chunky Abus chain lock, I've searched high and low and got nothing. I think it's time to move on.

I lock my bike at Drury St, the local Tesco or nearby post office.

I hear a lot of people saying no lock is unbreakable and seeing tons of Kyrptonite locks broken, what's the deal? My Abus lock was allegedly unbreakable with portable tools but I don't believe any lock is safe these days.

I know people usually throw a u lock and cable lock in there too but what would be the ideal lock set-up under €100?

I understand if someone wants to steal something they'll get it regardless and the best thing is to make them go for an easier steal, but I'd still like something with piece of mind...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

The way people lock their bikes are also the problem. If its just the U lock you can flip the bike and use the force to snap the lock. I use kryptonite U lock and wire. Thankfully in work I can bring it into my office.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I think the issue is portable battery powered angle grinders. You would think no one would get away with using one of those in a public place but in a busy street but apparently not the case. These can cut any lock - the most expensive might require two cuts and take a minute or two but it means that no lock is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Main lock.
    Secondary.

AIUI, a battery grinder won't get through the New York lock on a single charge (or a single disc).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

You would think no one would get away with using one of those in a public place but in a busy street but apparently not the case.

Most people don't care, and don't get involved when they see a bike thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

cdaly_ wrote: »
    AIUI, a battery grinder won't get through the New York lock on a single charge (or a single disc).

Yes it will, I've done it myself. Single battery, and single, thin cutting disc.
    Battery tools are improving all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I use an on-guard pitbull, as it's slightly wider than my kryptonite (which I could never get to fit through the frame/ wheel/ post where I lock it in work). Sold Secure Gold, for what that is worth.

I've also Oxford Chains and Locks, that are sold secure gold for bicycles (silver for motorbikes).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

DaveyDave wrote: »
    ...I lock my bike at Drury St, the local Tesco or nearby post office....
    If you use Drury Street regularly, consider getting a motorcycle chain lock and leave it there. That's what I do. I think I got it in Aldi or Lidl when they do motorcycle stuff. I've had it in Drury Street since the bike park opened there.

Get a smaller, lighter lock for shopping etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

A Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit mini u-lock and a Series 2 Kryptolok short chain might come in under €100. I use those, and they're a good combination. I use the short chain to lock the rear wheel in the Sheldon style , and the mini u-lock to secure the frame. A short bungee keeps the chain lock up away from the bicycle chain. It's only 55cm long, so you can't really lock the frame and wheel at the same time with it.

It's a good strategy, I think, in that a Fahgettaboudit can't be cut with bolt cutters, especially if well away from the ground, while the chain is probably a bit of a hassle to cut with an angle grinder (though it's certainly possible) and the thief can't be tempted to try using the bicycle frame to lever the u-lock open, since two locks mean you can't rotate the bike. They wouldn't be able to lever the u-lock open anyway, but they could really ruin your frame trying it.

That just leaves your front wheel. I use a Pitlock skewer to secure that, but a Z-lok combo and a cheap hex skewer would be ok, and pretty cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

If I follow my own security code, then my bike would be very difficult to steal, due to (A) it's location, and (B) the locks I use.

You need at least two locks....

Primary lock = Kryptonite New York Standard (16mil shackle) through rear triangle/Sheffield stand, secondary U lock securs front wheel to frame, 3rd backup is front disc brake alarm!

I always park it in the middle of a town (Sheffield stand) or 8ft high street sign pole, my bike is electrically assisted so I also remove the battery.

PS: That particular Kryptonite lock cannot be cracked by bolt cutters as the shackle is too thick at 16mil. Angle grinders will cut yes, but what a noise, smoke, two cuts + disc brake alarm too!

Kryptonite NY Std €63 (Sale price)
    Secondary U lock €30 (Halfords)
    Disc brake alarm €20 (Amazon).

Suggest you look up 'Hal Ruzal' on Youtube, this NY guy is the king of "how to lock up your bicycle", he has several videos all with a similar theme...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Effects wrote: »
    Most people don't care, and don't get involved when they see a bike thief.
    I think people do care but are too fearful. I would not confront a thief if it was not my bike. I would certainly, from a safe distance, roar out "HEY, THATS MY FCUKING BIKE!!!" and hopefully they will scarper.
    Effects wrote: »
    Yes it will, I've done it myself. Single battery, and single, thin cutting disc.
    Battery tools are improving all the time.
    The one he linked was the 18mm kryptonite, so will take a little longer than the standard.

The on-guards are excellent value, and I like the key and locking mechanism on them, seems more robust than my NY krypt and other krypts I had. Their (onguard) best is certainly not as good as the best abus or kryptonite. But if you have a budget then their best one should offer more protection than a krypt/abus at the same price (unless you found a really good deal)

• Advertisement
Advertisement