Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I got the car... now what!

Options
  • 13-01-2020 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

So this year I went and bought a new leaf. I got the charger installed, I downloaded an app for said charger, I applied for the SEAI grant but now I'm thinking... what else do I need?

I looked on the play store and there are LOADS of apps with maps, routes, tracking your car usage etc. But I dunno which of these are good for Ireland, so I came looking for advice.

Today I found out about the toll refund scheme, so Imma sign up for that! What else am I missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Register with eCars in case you need a public chargepoint?

Don't know if there's a "Fuelly" equivalent for EVs, but if there's an app for your chargepoint, I'd imagine that will tell you your consumption.

I reckon you're good to go. Enjoy the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Register with eCars in case you need a public chargepoint?

I see on the esb site there are 2 methods of paying...

€0.29 per kWh Membership or €0.33 per kWh PAYG.

But when I'm looking at the map, there are some chargepoints that are free and others have a price on them (€0.33/kWh). So is the price to join (member or PAYG) on top of the price at the pump? (do we call it a pump?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

The free ones are the "slow" chargers, or "destination chargepoints". They're the ones you see at trainstations or whatever, plug it in, leave it for a few hours, and away you go.
    The paid ones are the rapid ones, that get you from 20% to 80% in about 40 minutes or whatever. You pay for that privilege.

You'll need a card for the free ones anyway, so you may as well register and opt for the PAYG. I'd imagine you won't be rapid charging very often anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I find PlugShare good for public charge points as people can submit user reports (e.g. if there are problems), or say how long they'll be there, etc.
    Soarer wrote: »
    Don't know if there's a "Fuelly" equivalent for EVs, but if there's an app for your chargepoint, I'd imagine that will tell you your consumption.

Spritmonitor supports EVs and PHEVs:

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/33-Nissan/1296-Leaf.html?powerunit=2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Zap map is a nice app as it gives you a way to leave a “need to charge” sign in the car in case you’re parked up for a while - as an etiquette thing.

Do you have the Nissan connect setup?
    https://www.nissan.ie/ownership/nissan-connect.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

+1 for ZapMap

Nissan Connect is somewhere between useful and infuriating as it’s frequently down (for me at least). Great for preheating car though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Soarer wrote: »
    The free ones are the "slow" chargers, or "destination chargepoints". They're the ones you see at trainstations or whatever, plug it in, leave it for a few hours, and away you go.
    The paid ones are the rapid ones, that get you from 20% to 80% in about 40 minutes or whatever. You pay for that privilege.

You'll need a card for the free ones anyway, so you may as well register and opt for the PAYG. I'd imagine you won't be rapid charging very often anyway.

Ah I see, so I would PAYG the 33.c but thats all when I use the free one, then if I was a member I'd pay member fee + the fast charge fee. Thanks you for the info!
    Do you have the Nissan connect setup?
    https://www.nissan.ie/ownership/nissan-connect.html

I don't. Out of the 5 listed apps available in Ireland, I only use one of them (Google search)so I didn't think it was much point. Also I have a pixel which doesn't seem to be listed on the compatible devices list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭innrain

I find plugshare to be more community friendly. You can chat with the user plugged about the ETA return, some would leave their phone number to call, it is easier to add stations resulting in a faster update rate, and it has a cleaner interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah, I find PlugShare the better app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Skinfull wrote: »
    Ah I see, so I would PAYG the 33.c but thats all when I use the free one, then if I was a member I'd pay member fee + the fast charge fee. Thanks you for the info!

I don't. Out of the 5 listed apps available in Ireland, I only use one of them (Google search)so I didn't think it was much point. Also I have a pixel which doesn't seem to be listed on the compatible devices list.

The only ESB chargers you pay for are the 50kw DC ones. The AC chargers are free but you need to be registered to use them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The only ESB chargers you pay for are the 50kw DC ones. The AC chargers are free but you need to be registered to use them.

Fast AC on FCP stations is generally not free

Advertisement