Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of areas licensed for ceremony?

Options
  • 13-01-2020 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is a list somewhere of all venues/areas that are registered for a humanist/spiritualist ceremony?

We are planning on booking a hotel venue, who can do the ceremony too, but with the ceremony plan we have in mind, we don't think it would work there (hard to explain!)

We are looking for alternatives for the ceremony, and we can then go to the hotel venue afterwards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is a list somewhere of all venues/areas that are registered for a humanist/spiritualist ceremony?

We are planning on booking a hotel venue, who can do the ceremony too, but with the ceremony plan we have in mind, we don't think it would work there (hard to explain!)

We are looking for alternatives for the ceremony, and we can then go to the hotel venue afterwards

Does it not just have to be in a public space?

Try the HSE website maybe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

https://www2.hse.ie/services/births-deaths-and-marriages/how-to-get-married-in-ireland/choosing-a-venue-for-a-civil-marriage-ceremony.html
    The venue must be dignified and suitable for a marriage ceremony. It must have enough space for those attending.

The venue must be either:

- a building that is open to the public
    - a courtyard, garden, field or piece of ground that is open to the public and is near to and usually shared with the building

The venue must also:

- be clearly identifiable by description and location
    - allow unrestricted access, without charge
    - meet planning permission, fire safety and health and safety requirements
    - have public liability insurance cover
    - be accessible to all
    - have no recent or current connection with any religion, religious practice or persuasion

I'm not aware of an actual list of approved venues that is publically available, but I have heard before that if there is a particular venue you want, you can get it registered by the HSE (provided it fulfills the above criteria). If there is a particular venue you're interested in though, the venue itself should be able to tell you if they're already registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

woodchuck wrote: »
    https://www2.hse.ie/services/births-deaths-and-marriages/how-to-get-married-in-ireland/choosing-a-venue-for-a-civil-marriage-ceremony.html

I'm not aware of an actual list of approved venues that is publically available, but I have heard before that if there is a particular venue you want, you can get it registered by the HSE (provided it fulfills the above criteria). If there is a particular venue you're interested in though, the venue itself should be able to tell you if they're already registered.

The quote above is for ceremonies carried out by a HSE Registrar.

If you book a Solemniser the options are broader, and the main points are that it has an identifiable address and is generally open to the public (so not a private residence).

So your options for your venue will depend on if its a Solemniser or Registrar marrying you.

Feel free to PM me if you want to check specifics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

If your in cork I have a great list of places that we looked at . Pm me if you are

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Thanks guys, looking in the Westport area and struggling to find anything that suits. We are looking for a venue to host a small ceremony (20 ppl) with maybe lunch afterwards. We'll have a party elsewhere later that night

Wondering if anyone has viewed anywhere that they would recommend?

• Advertisement
Advertisement