Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baxi Bermuda back boiler repair

Options
  • 12-01-2020 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Can anyone recommend a plumber who is familiar with the baxi Bermuda? The boiler ain't firing on the timer. I tried manually starting it, to no avail. I want to try rescue it as we're selling the house and i want to avoid investing in a new boiler!

Based in Dublin 8.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Most good RGIs in Dublin centre are familiar with BBU (back boiler units)

Depending on which Bermuda it is, parts are stating to become scarce though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

DGOBS wrote: »
    Most good RGIs in Dublin centre are familiar with BBU (back boiler units)

Depending on which Bermuda it is, parts are stating to become scarce though.

I think it's an old one. Baxi Bermuda 552, about 30 yrs old i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

jon1981 wrote:
    I think it's an old one. Baxi Bermuda 552, about 30 yrs old i reckon

The coal effect one came onto mid 80s. I have the original with a superser looking front and that's even older. I'm pretty sure Heat merchants still stock parts for this model. I got a thermo couple for mine without issue around 5 years ago. Any local RGI should be able to sort you out. They're not exactly efficient but they are pretty much bullet proof

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

I wouldn't say that all parts are available anymore, lots of parts not becoming obsolete.

Got sorted in the end. Sparker was gone and was probably gone for a long time but because the boiler has an always on pilot light we wouldn't have noticed it until the pilot went out due to an interruption in the gas line. 30 yr old boiler still going strong. They have few parts and easy to maintain, no problem getting the part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

jon1981 wrote:
    Got sorted in the end. Sparker was gone and was probably gone for a long time but because the boiler has an always on pilot light we wouldn't have noticed it until the pilot went out due to an interruption in the gas line. 30 yr old boiler still going strong. They have few parts and easy to maintain, no problem getting the part.

It's worth pointing out to anyone with this type of boiler that room ventilation will save your life. Never ever block a vent if the room has a backboiler.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's worth pointing out to anyone with this type of boiler that room ventilation will save your life. Never ever block a vent if the room has a backboiler.

Good shout, the first thing the engineer did when he serviced the boiler was check the room the room ventilation airflow.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Good shout, the first thing the engineer did when he serviced the boiler was check the room the room ventilation airflow.

Also the flue liner should be replaced every 20-25 years.

gary71 wrote: »
    Also the flue liner should be replaced every 20-25 years.

Wasn't necessary. I'm also selling the house so just want it in safe, working condition. The next owner will likely rip the whole thing out anyway. Another Bermuda heading for the graveyard.

Advertisement