Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siatica/ankle problems

Options
  • 10-01-2020 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I have been in severe pain for a couple of weeks now and the Dr said it is probably siatica - he put me Solpadol and Vimovo and was on this for a week and they were doing nothing for me, was still in pain. There is a constant stabbing pain in my ankle region but no swelling or bruising so he ruled out a sprain or ankle injury but when I walk even if it is only 10 feet I am severe pain. At times I have had to go down the stairs on my bum.

I went back to see him and he changed the tables to Arthrotec and Etoflam gel and have been taking these for 5 days and still no change. I am wonder now is there an issue with my ankle and it may be fractured or damaged. I have no pain in my back. I am thinking of going to the hospital to see if they can x-ray it and rule out any fracture. Just wondering if anyone has had anything like this happen to them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

shoes43 wrote: »
    I have been in severe pain for a couple of weeks now and the Dr said it is probably siatica - he put me Solpadol and Vimovo and was on this for a week and they were doing nothing for me, was still in pain. There is a constant stabbing pain in my ankle region but no swelling or bruising so he ruled out a sprain or ankle injury but when I walk even if it is only 10 feet I am severe pain. At times I have had to go down the stairs on my bum.

I went back to see him and he changed the tables to Arthrotec and Etoflam gel and have been taking these for 5 days and still no change. I am wonder now is there an issue with my ankle and it may be fractured or damaged. I have no pain in my back. I am thinking of going to the hospital to see if they can x-ray it and rule out any fracture. Just wondering if anyone has had anything like this happen to them.

Assuming your GP will have carried out an examination / history that has lead to his conclusion of sciatica. Under normal conditions this would see you referred for further imaging of your lumbar spine, specifically mri, however, the waiting lists are so long these days he may have chosen not to refer in the hope that your symptoms may settle.
    Sciatica can be extremely painful at any part of the lower limb. Relieving sciatic pain can be tricky outside of opioids.
    You need to go back to your GP if the symptoms are not settling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Under normal conditions this would see you referred for further imaging of your lumbar spine, specifically mri, however, the waiting lists are so long these days he may have chosen not to refer in the hope that your symptoms may settle.

Not true at all. Sciatica is usually a clinical diagnosis an MR is reserved for cases where’s there’s doubt or not responding to treatment.

Back to GP - I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

When my GP diagnosed sciatica I was sent to physio. It kinda helped. The uk-registered osteopath I took myself too was a good deal more helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Vorsprung wrote: »
    Not true at all. Sciatica is usually a clinical diagnosis an MR is reserved for cases where’s there’s doubt or not responding to treatment.

Back to GP - I agree.

Clinical diagnosis indeed. The GP diagnosed clinically. The op has not responded to treatment thus far. Further investigations are indicated imo. Anyway, gp stuff.

Advertisement