Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opt out period after getting Eir tv/internet?

Options
  • 09-01-2020 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey guys, hopefully this is the bright section. I couldn't post in the Eir section.

I have an issue. My parents were with Sky (for about a decade). They took the notion to change because their bill was massive (about 151 euro a month with sport and little else beyond the basics) to Eir.

The Eir guy came, set up the box and was gone and all in about 10 mins this morning.

Now, my parents are elderly - pushing 70. I just spent the mosy excrutiating 5 hours trying to explain to them how to use the Eir service (Apple box) and they still don't have a clue. To be fair the Apple box is, in my opinion (as compared to Sky's UI) a bit obtuse and not elderly friendly at all. The parents are in an awful tizzy, and no matter how many times I try I cannot get their heads around the Apple TV box.

---- My question is -

............ Is their an opt out of Eir? Like a one week opt out, for new customers. I just want to bring them back to Sky as it is what they know and understand. I don't think a rural 70-year-old who can hardly use a phone and can't use a computer will ever get their head around the Apple TV box.

I wish they had told me they were switching providers before all this happened.

I have gone through the website (and unless it is well hidden I cannot find an answer) I also CTRL+F my way through the T&Cs and didn't find any answer.

Anyone in a similar situation before? Surely by law you can opt out of a service within a few days. I'd even pay a small fine for them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

There will be the standard 14 day cooling off period. But I would call Eir as soon as possible to get it done. Horrible company to deal with in the last 24 months. I've had to open multiple issues with comreg over their handling of several situations with my own mothers account. Unfortunately they're the only option otherwise they'd be long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Was it ordered online/by phone or in an eir shop? Online or by phone gives 14 day cooling off whereas in store purchase doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Carlomann

Thanks for the answers, guys. They inquired in shop, then he rang them later and they decided on the phone. So is that a no-go then?

Update -- she went in, asked, he rang her later and she went back into the shop 3 days later to sign something.

In store would not automatically give the 14 day cooling off that would apply to distance selling (online/phone) unless there's a clause in the contract that allows it.

Eir should supply a copy of the contract agreed/signed. Have a look at the contract to see what terms apply to cancelling. If there was no contract signed then could it have just been a direct debit mandate?

The only other issue to consider is whether the sales person said that it would be a similar user experience to Sky and if they got a demonstration in store. From reading other posts about Apple TV, one issue is that some channels can't be recorded so that would be a significant difference to Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Carlomann

Thanks for the advice. I rang up and said it was sold via phone. I have to say I was a bit worried ringing them, after all the bad I had heard.

To be fair the Eir reps were fairly polite and kindly. They gave me a bit of a run-around, bouncing me from department-to-department for some time. But in the end they relented and ended the subscription -- I askedto clearly list out what we would have to pay
    they said we'd need to pay one day's viewing and also return all equipment, but they would send us a box and an address (parcel motel, I believe). He never mentioned paying the installation fee. I verbally agreed to the day's viewing and return of gear.

Thanks forthe help, Ten Pin.

• Advertisement

Keep after them to ensure that it is actually canceled and they don't attempt to take payments. Contact the bank to cancel the direct debit (if that's the payment method).

Eir have been known to agree to cancelling and then ignoring it and continuing on as if the contract was still active. There have been various stories that even ended in court cases initiated by Comreg because eir just made a hames of every attempt to resolve issues.

It would be better if you can get written confirmation of the cancellation from eir, or even just record the phone call. It may sound a bit excessive but having heard / read some horror stories in the past, it could save hassle in case eir mess up.

Advertisement