Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 530 vs 830 vs 1030

Options
  • 08-01-2020 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭

Looking at moving back to garmin after a while with Wahoo. No real reason other than my running watch is with garmin and handy to have all the info in the same place. So for the garmins, is the main difference, size and touch screen capabilities? I have read the 830 and 1030 have some additional features around the mapping too, but just wondering about real life experience, if people have them how do they find them day to day? I like the look of the 1030 but it's fairly big, does it need to be this big or are the screens on the 530 and 830 big enough to see all the data you need?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

The key difference is that the 830 and 1030 have a touchscreen. Other than that they have a very similar feature set. Bear in mind that the 1030 hardware design is two years older that the other two. I've never had a problem with the smaller screen having enough real estate. I'm using the 830 at the moment, a big improvement over the ever-janky 820.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Cheers for that, and how do you find the touchscreen? I have visions of it being set off by rain, or not working with gloves? Easy enough to use on the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Ive the 1000. touchscreen is good. works while wearing gloves too. Rain wont affect it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've a 1030. Occasional Bluetooth mishaps, but otherwise great. Recent updates have improved it too.

However, needs a longer mount than the others so if you've old mounts they're useless and if you've a few bikes you'll need a couple

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Forgot to add...you get used to the larger screen very quickly. I had to use my wife’s 520 for a few days and I while it’s functionality is fine, the small screen and the fact that the screen is not touchscreen was a bit frustrating. If ihadto choose between a 520 and a 1000/1030, I’d go large (touch) screen every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Joey
    I came from 800 to the 1030. A few of us in the club have the 1030's.
    You get used to the big screen v quickly and only when using thick gloves have I had any difficulty with the touchscreen.
    I downloaded the RAI route to mine so one of the lads could use it and apart from when we were in the North* it was spot on.
    I also downloaded maps for Spain and worked.
    I used Map my Ride.
    I use mine with a JRC out front mount and although it says it not compatible with the 1030 it does work.
    The screens are 100% adjustable to what you want on each screen and how m any fields you want.
    Never had any issue picking up sensors etc.
    I will send you some picks tommorrow or Fri.
    *For some reason when we were in the North mapping was patchy at best but when we came back into the republic it was bang on.

Advertisement